Can German Shepherds Eat Grapes or Raisins? (Beware!)

Categorized as German Shepherd
can german shepherds eat grapes or raisins

Grapes are a favorite fruit of many people around the world. For humans, eating grapes is beneficial in many ways because grapes are rich in antioxidants and other essential minerals.

But are grapes safe for German shepherds? And what about raisins, a type of grape that has been dried?

Can German Shepherds Eat Grapes?

The answer is no; grapes or raisins should never be fed to German shepherds or any other dogs as grapes and raisins are highly poisonous to dogs. Even a very small amount of grapes or raisins can cause acute kidney failure in dogs.

Some veterinary toxicologists thought that the potential toxicity of grapes was due to mycotoxin, a fungal toxin. Other toxicologists mentioned that grapes could also be toxic due to salicylate content. And more recently, it has been thought that the cause of grape toxicity in dogs is due to tartaric acid.

While veterinarians aren’t exactly sure why grapes and raisins are so toxic to dogs, what is known is that any grape or raisin—which are really just dehydrated grapes—is a problem no matter how it is served: seedless, skinned, fresh, or canned.

Can a Single Grape Kill a German shepherd?

Unfortunately, even a single grape/raisin is enough to pose a serious threat to your German shepherd. Not all cases of grape poisoning among dogs are indeed fatal, but there is simply no way to know for sure whether or not your German shepherd will be one of the lucky ones that make it through the episode.

It’s unlikely that one or two grapes will cause serious harm to medium or large dogs such as a German shepherd, but in small dogs such as a Chihuahua, for example, even a single grape can be enough to kill them.

However, there’s no way to tell for sure whether or not your medium or large German shepherd will be sensitive to grapes. This is why all vets treat most dogs who have eaten grapes as if they are highly susceptible to the poisoning.

And while many dogs who have eaten grapes will start showing symptoms within 24 hours, some can take up to two days to show any signs of illness. For this reason, the only way to know for sure whether or not your dog has consumed grapes is through a visit to the veterinarian’s office.

What Are the Symptoms of Grape Poisoning?

Many dog owners put fruits such as grapes into the food bowl or on the counter, and the next thing they know, they’re rushing their pup to the vet with what appears to be a life-threatening condition.

If your shepherd has accidentally eaten grapes, you might not notice anything immediately. In some cases, your dog shows absolutely no symptoms of any kind. In other cases, you might see the following symptoms:

  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetitive
  • Bad breath
  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Dehydration
  • Increased thirst and/or urination
  • Decreased urine output
  • Seizure

These are the most common symptoms that you’ll likely notice within the 24 hours after your German shepherd has eaten grapes if they are susceptible to grape poisoning.

If this condition is left untreated, within 72 hours of ingesting grapes or raisins, your German shepherd may go into acute kidney failure. Unfortunately, by this point, it will be too late to recover your shepherd fully.

What to Do if Dog Ate Grape

As soon as you know your German shepherd has eaten grapes, the first thing to do is to induce vomiting. This will reduce the number of toxic compounds in your dog’s body.

To induce vomiting, your veterinarian may recommend giving a small amount of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. To know how much to give you need to consider your dog’s size and age. It’s better to call your veterinarian first and ask for the appropriate dosage.

Although this action of inducing vomiting won’t necessarily eliminate all of the toxins in your shepherd’s system, it will help to minimize the damage that has been done. However, you should note that you should not induce vomiting if your dog is struggling to breathe after ingesting grapes.

This is because if they have difficulty breathing, they might be more likely to breathe in the vomit if they throw up, which could result in aspiration. This can worsen their condition.

Once you’ve induced vomiting, get your dog to the nearest veterinarian clinic for further treatment. In most cases, hospitalization is needed for intensive care and monitoring.

Grape Toxicity Prevention

The best way to prevent grape toxicity in your German shepherd is to simply keep it as far away from grapes and raisins as possible. Remember that even a tiny amount of grapes can be enough to cause serious issues.

Be mindful of where you store your grapes or raisins, and always clean up any spills.


So, can German shepherds eat grapes? The short answer is no. Grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs. There is no way of knowing for sure whether or not your German shepherd will be highly susceptible to grape poisoning if they do eat grapes, but the risk of serious adverse effects is simply too high.

The best thing you can do to prevent any chance of this occurring is to keep them away from grapes altogether. Make sure to store your grapes and raisins in a place where your dog cannot reach them and clean up any spills as soon as possible.

Here are some of my favorite German Shepherd supplies

Thank you for reading this article. I hope you found it helpful and useful as you raise and train your German Shepherd.

Here are some of my favorite reviews for German Shepherd supplies that I personally use and recommend. If you do decide to purchase them, please remember that I’ll earn a small commission which helps me maintain this website.