Pee pads for dogs are just like diapers for babies. They help you house training your puppy while avoiding all the accidents that come along with it — strains and odors all over the floors.
Dog pee pads can also help senior and sick dogs relieving themselves without you getting worried about the floor getting stained and the carpet starting to smell. But with so many different brands, you might be left wondering which ones are the best dog pee pads?
Let’s look first at other ways these dog pee pads can help you before going into some of top selling dog pee pads available on the market.
What are The Benefits of Dog Pee Pads?
As we have mentioned above, the main reason why dog pee pads invented is to assist dog parents potty training their puppies.
Sure you can just let your puppy go outside to do their business, after all, that’s one of the main purposes of potty training: to train your dog to go out on their own whenever nature calls.
However, there are several conditions where it may be difficult for your puppy to go outside to do their business. For example, when you have to leave them alone in the house for several hours, or if you live in the apartment.
Aside from being used for potty training, there are several other conditions when pee pads may come in handy such as:
- When your dog is getting sick.
- When you have a senior dog, who is suffering from urinary incontinence.
- When you live in an apartment.
- When you travel with your four-legged friend by car, and you need something to protect the car seats.
- When you want to layer the dog crate floor.
What to Look For before Buying the Best Dog Pee Pad?
Here are several features that you may want to look first before choosing the best pee pad for your dog:
What Pee Pads Size Should You Choose?
In most cases, it’s better to get pee pads one size larger than the manufacturer’s recommendation. For example, if you have a small dog, you might want to get medium or large-sized pee pads.
Does the Dog Pee Pad Have a High Absorbent Rate?
The best dog pee pad must have a high absorbent rate as you don’t want your dog to dripping wet leaving stain all over the floor on their track.
Does the Dog Pee Pad Have a Quick Drying Surface?
You want a dog pee pad that has a quick-drying surface. Together with the high absorbent rate feature, a quick-drying surface helps to keep your floor stay clean from getting urine-soaked.
How Leak-Proof is the Dog Pee Pad?
The best pee pad for canine should be leak-proof so that the urine will not leak onto the floor and soak into the carpet. The best brand should offer a 100% leak-proof guarantee.
Is the Pee Pad Durable Enough?
Look for dog pee pad that’s durable or tear resistance, you don’t want the pee pad getting shredded or torn into bits by an exciting dog, spilling the urine all over the place.
Does the Dog Pee Pad Have an Odor Control Mechanism?
Some of the best dog pee pad brands offer some kind of odor neutralizer that can help to conceal any bad smells. Some brands use natural deodorizers such as baking soda, and others use different types of scents such as lavender and lemon.
Is There Any Attractant Imbued Into the Pee Pad?
Attractants such as added ammonia, pheromones, or grass scents will help lure your dog into using the pad to potty, so you don’t need to spend more time to re-train your dog to use the pad.
Does the Pee Pad Have Enough Adhesive?
The best pee pads for dogs should be adhesive enough to prevent the dog pee pads from slipping on a tile or hardwood.
Is the Pee Pad Eco-Friendly?
Amid the growing concern of environmental pollution, you should pick an eco-friendly pee pad. The good news is all the best pee pads that we review here are either reusable or biodegradable.
The Best Dog Pee Pads – Reviews and Recommendations
1.Petphabet Puppy Dog Training Pee Pads – Highest Quality Dog Pee Pad
- LOCKS IN MOISTURE. Each pad comes with multiple layers to ensure leak - proof and odor proof performance. The inside layers captures the urine instantly, locking in wetness and odor.
- PERFECT FOR POTTY TRAINING NEW PUPPIES. Also in assisting aging, ailing and incontinent dogs, extended indoor stays, or for use while traveling. Through the Fast Dry Technology design, your floors are protected against drips, leaks and tracking.
Pethabet Dog Pee Pads are our number 1 choice for the best dog pee pads on the market.
These pee pads absorb liquid a lot better than any other brands that we have tested in this list.
The secret of the pads’ high performance lies in the construction material that is composed of superabsorbent polymers, plastic border, and quick dry black carbon technology.
The superabsorbent polymers and plastic border absorb liquid, prevent a leak, and eliminate tracking, while the activated carbon technology turns your dog liquid into a gel.
2. Paws & Pals Puppy Pads Dog Pee Pad for Potty Training Dogs & Cats – Best Overall Dog Pee Pads
- MAXIMUM ABSORPTION: The potty pads absorb liquids and messes better than newspapers or other training pads.
- INDOOR USE: The potty pads are ideal for when there's bad weather and you don't want your dog to go outside to relieve itself
The Paws & Pals Dog Pee Pad is our second choice in this list.
Not only highly absorbent, but the most important thing is they don’t leak! If you forget to change them at night, you can simply get up in the morning, toss and replace the pad with a new one without having to worry you’ll have to clean a mess on the floor.
If you need a liner, they also work great for lining the dog crates and carries. Although, I wouldn’t recommend you to line your dog crate for the reason that I will explain later in this post.
3. BESTLE Extra Large Pet Training and Puppy Pads Pee Pads
- HIGHLY ABSORBENT: 5-layer design makes the xlarge dog potty pads much more absorbent than the most wee wee pads for dogs, holding up to 9 cups of liquid
- LEAKPROOF: 100% leak free with durable waterproof plastic layer to protect your floor or carpet from damages, making home clean up far easier
Bestle Large Pee Pads are great alternative pee pads if you can’t find the Petphabet model.
The pee pads are made a fast-absorbing five layer design that can hold up to 9 cups of liquids. Measures at 28 inches by 34 inches, these dog pee pads are ideal pads for large and senior dogs.
4. Rocket & Rex Washable, Reusable, Pet Training, and Puppy Pads
- SAVES MONEY AND REDUCES WASTE VS DISPOSABLES - Not only more environmentally friendly than disposable pads, but also less expensive. Plus, no more dealing with the mess of disposables throughout the day!
- BEST ABSORPTION AND ODOR CONTROL – Absorbs and retains pee and odors better than any other dog pads for extended indoor stays, and prevents tracking to protect your floors and rugs and keep them dry.
Rocket & Rex Washable Pee Pads are our top choice for the best washable dog pee pad on the market.
There are two main benefits of using washable dog pee pads: first, you are going to save money and two, you’re going to save the environment; you don’t have to deal with a pile of disposable pads every day.
These washable pads are also a lot tougher than any disposable pads that you might often use. You won’t find any more dog pads chewed to shreds once you come back home from work.
5. AmazonBasics Pet Training and Puppy Pads, Regular and Heavy Duty – Best Budget Pick
- Each pad measures 22x22 inches (LxW), with the center pad measuring 19x19 inches (LxW). The pad has a 1.5 inch plastic border on all sides to prevent overflow.
- Super-absorbent core that turns liquid to gel upon contact
AmazonBasics Pet Training Peed Pads are an excellent choice for the best budget pick. These disposable pads are cheaper than the other four brands in this list and great for an extra backup if you run out of your first pee pads.
These pee pads are also great if you need one for traveling with your pets.
Pethabet Dog Pee Pads are our choice if you’re looking for the best dog pee pads that you can rely on. A few extra bucks that you have to pay will be worth it if you consider the hassle of cleaning up the dirty floors due to leaked dog pee pads.
Other Related Questions
What is The Drawback of Using Dog Pee Pads?
Despite all the benefits that your dog can get from using pee pads, there is one drawback, however. In a few cases, your puppy might develop a habit of always using pee pads to do their business, and no longer potty outside.
In this case, you defeat the purpose of using pee pads in the first place, which is to help you potty train your dog.
So, this is something that you may want to be aware of as you potty train your puppy.
The Purpose of Using Dog Pee Pads is for Housebreaking
Remember the purpose of using pee pads at the outset is to help you house training your puppy. You don’t want them to think it’s okay to pee whenever they like inside the house.
We want our puppy to grow up to become a self-dependent dog that can take care of their business without much interference from us, which means making your life much more comfortable.
Yes, there are certain conditions where it might be impossible for your puppy to potty outside, for example in the case of aging and disabled dogs.
But whenever possible, your first goal is to teach your pup to go outside to do their business on their own.
How to Train Your Dog to Use Pee Pads – Step By Step Guide
Should You Use Dog Pee Pads to Line The Dog’s Crate?
It’s never a good idea to confine your pup in a crate for more than three to four hours because they can’t control their bladders and bowels for that long.
By putting dog pee pads in the crate, you’ll train them to get used to potty in their crate, which once again defeats the purpose of house training.
That being said, there are certain conditions where it’s okay to put pee pads in the dog’s crate, for example when you’re going on a long car ride, and you want to prevent any bladder accidents from happening.