Dog cooling pads or mats can be your dog’s favorite place to lay down and cool off their body after a long, hot day outside. If you’re in the market for the best dog cooling pads, the Dogbed4less Orthopedic Gel Memory Foam Dog Bed, in my opinion, is the best choice for you.
To find the best dog cooling pads or mats for you, I reviewed dozens of different cooling pads for dogs. I take into account all sorts of factors like the material, its cooling property, weight, durability, cost, and reviews from other users.
Here’re my reviews and a buying guide that I hope will provide you with some useful information for your search.
The 5 Best Dog Cooling Pads and Mats: Reviews
1. Dogbed4less Orthopedic Gel Memory Foam Dog Bed
- WATERPROOF LINER + 2 EXTERNAL COVERS - This bed comes with x1 Water proof internal zipper cover to protect the memory foam, x1 Heavy Duty washable Navy Blue Denim external zipper cover + x1 Free bonus MicroSuede brown external case and x1 gel infused memory foam pad.
- MACHINE WASHABLE COVER - Removable 100% cotton heavy weight jeans denim cover with strong zipper in gusset style and extra stitching to prolong the life of the pet bed, wash after wash. Machine washable / dry-able.
The Dogbed4less Orthopedic Gel Memory Foam Dog Bed is the best dog cooling pad for money and quality. This hypoallergenic dog bed is a mixture of an orthopedic dog bed and a cooling pad, perfect for dogs suffering from joint paint, arthritis, or muscle stiffness.
The memory foam gives therapeutic effects allowing your dog falls asleep like a baby while the cooling gel lets your dog stay cooler in the heat.
This bed comes with 3 covers: 1 waterproof liner, 1 denim cover, and 1 suede cloth cover with non-skid rubber on the bottom. The covers are removable and easily washable with an extra waterproof liner to keep the foam insert dry and clean. It’s available in 7 different sizes, which makes it perfect for any of your furry family members.
Most dog owners were quite happy with the quality of this bed. One user even said the foam was very durable and didn’t lose its shape even after 3 years of use. However, a few owners noticed that the bedding cover was somewhat water-resistant than waterproof.
2. Arf Pets Self Cooling Pads
- Automatically Recharging Cooling Pad Provides Continuous Relief Up to 3 Hours
- Versatile Mat Design Soothes & Prevents Overheating & Dehydration in the Heat
This Arf Pets Dog Cooling Pad for Kennels, Crates, and Beds is my runner up pick. It’s self-cooling and self-replenishing. This pad relies on pressure-activated gel contained inside the mat to provide long-lasting cooling effects.
Its cooling effects can last up to 3 hours. After it stops working, you just need to leave it in a cool area out of the sun to recharge its cooling properties. Within 15 to 20 minutes, the pad will be ready to use again.
Another thing that I like about the Arf Pets Dog cooling pad is its solid construction. The pad may look flimsy, but it’s designed to be super durable and easy to clean.
Most dog owners found this pad had delivered its promise. Though, several owners noticed that the pad was getting quite hot when placed in direct sunlight.
3. Green Pet Shop Dog Cooling Mat
- THE ORIGINAL SELF-COOLING PET PAD - our patented pressure activated gel dog pads cool and soothe your dog and cat on contact for up to 3 hours, providing a cool spot for your furry friend. The Green Pet Shop offer pet accessories for dogs to help them keep cool & happy year-round
- NO WATER, ELECTRICITY OR REFRIGERATION REQUIRED - it really works, the pet cooling pad features a special gel formula that automatically recharges after 15-20 minutes of non-use. It's a simple solution to avoid overheating and dehydration for hot, panting dogs that struggle in the summer weather
This Green Pet Shop Dog Cooling Pad uses the same technology as the Arf Pets dog cooling pad: instant cooling, and self-replenishing.
According to the manufacturer, its specially formulated cooling gel can cool your dog’s body temperature for up to 4 hours.
The Green Pet Shop Dog Cooling Mat is available in 5 different sizes. It’s lightweight, folds easily, and machine washable.
Most dog owners praised this pad for its versatility; you can use it at home or on-the-go when traveling. A few users, though, found that their dogs experienced a toxic reaction after chewing on it. A few users also complained that the pad was prone to shrinkage.
4. Cooler Dog Cooling Pad
- HELP YOUR PET STAY COOL Great for pets that are heat sensitive, prone to overheating, work in the heat, after intense training sessions or running, playing in the park, at the beach, camping or anything in-between
- COMFORT AND PERFORMANCE The Hydro Cooling Mat combines a waterbed cushion, a FlexiFreeze Ice Sheet (88 ice cubes) and a thick layer of insulation to create a long-lasting cooling solution
For those who need more cooling power, this ice-based Cooler Dog Cooling Pad can be a great choice. The pad uses 3 different layers to provide 10x more cooling power than the gel cooling pads.
The first layer is a waterbed cushion that provides a cool and comfortable surface for your doggie to lay on.
The second layer is the FlexiFreeze Ice Sheets that contain 88 built-in ice cubes. This second layer is the main engine that powers up the cooling.
And the third layer is a thick insulating foam insert that prevents the mat from warming underneath.
You don’t need to refill the ice packs since they are pre-filled with water and sealed. You just need to place the ice packs in the freezer to recharge it.
You can buy an additional FlexiFreeze Ice Sheet as a back up in case the pouches break down or as a replacement if the used one is put back in the freezer.
5. PAWZ Road Pet Dog Blanket
- BLANKET DIMENSION: Measuring in 20"x30" features with Blue color and white dots design creating a sense of cooling during the hot summer, the blanket is perfect for cats and small dogs.
- BREATHABLE AND SELF COOLING MATERIAL: The surface is applied with ice silk which feels smooth and cooling to touch. While the bottom is made of air mesh which is open to breath that allows for more fresh air and keep it from warming up.
The PAWZ Road Pet Dog Blanket offers a simple, effective cooling solution on a budget. This mat is different from the other four that I’ve reviewed above; it doesn’t use a cooling gel.
The PAWZ Road Pet Blanket uses a combination of breathable mesh and self-cooling material to provide constant cooling.
The breathable mesh helps to circulate the air around and inside the mat. And the self-cooling material keeps it 3 degrees lower than a regular blanket.
Here’re other popular dog cooling pads and mats in the market and my review for each product.
6. K&H Pet Products Cooling Dog Bed
- The K&H Cool Bed wicks heat out of your pet and releases it into the air. The water-saturated Cool Core inside this dog cooling mat absorbs the heat produced by your pet and coverts it to room temperature. The difference created between the room temperature and the dog’s body temperature is how the Cool Bed III provides a cool, refreshing surface for your dog. If your home is 80°F, then the Cool Bed III is 22° cooler than your pet's body temperature.
- This cooling pet pad is size Large(32" X 44") and color blue. Comforts pet arthritis, skin disorders, dog hip pain relief and more. No weight limit, great for large dogs, small dogs, and even cats that like a cool spot. Made of a durable nylon/vinyl exterior. Recommended for indoor and outdoor use. 2-year limited warranty
Instead of using cooling gel, the K&H Pet Products Cooling Dog Bed uses water to cool your canine friend. The bed features a unique water-based cool core that helps draw in your dog’s body heat and dissipate it into the air.
To activate this bed, all you have to do is fill it with water through an easy-twist, easy-fill cap. Make sure to check out the recommended amounts of water for your dog’s size first.
Once the bed has been filled with water, you can use it for a year without refilling.
7. Chillz Cooling Mat for Dogs
- COOL AND COMFORTING - keeps your pet cool and comfy with pressure activated gel technology that absorbs body heat and delivers relief for pets from heat or joint pain
- CONVENIENT AND MULTI-USE - folds up for easy storage; perfect for use indoors, outdoors, and on the go. Measures 36” X 20” (90cm x 50cm)
The Chillz Cooling Mat for dogs is an excellent option for those who prefer a simpler design. The mat uses a pressure-activated gel system. All your dog has to do is lay on the mat to activate the gel.
Some owners found that the mat was not cool enough when they tried it for the first time, but surprised when they saw their dogs really did love chilling out on it.
Another thing to note is, although the mat is advertised as puncture-resistant, a few customers found that their dogs were able to puncture it. A few dogs developed a stomach upset after chewing and ingesting the leaked gel. And thus, I wouldn’t recommend this mat for a strong chewer.
8. PetPlus Dog Cooling Mat
- 【SGS Certified Cooling Pet Pad】 The cooling mat is made of high-tech cooling fiber, using polyester textiles which enjoys better cooling effect (Applied on most human high-tech blanket & children products). It can sooth our dogs and cats on contact for up to 3 hours, providing a cool spot for our dog year round
- 【No Water, Electricity - Cooling Instantly】3-4 Degrees cooler by instantly touching, the dog cooling pad features Taiwan imported high-tech cooling nylon fiber. It's a simple solution to avoid overheating and dehydration for hot, panting dogs that struggle in the summer weather
The PetPlus Dog Cooling Mat is made of high-tech cooling Nylon fiber. It’s lightweight, smooth, and cool when I touched it.
The manufacturer claims that the mat provides about 3 hours of cooling time, starting from the time your furry friend lays down on it.
9. K&H Elevated Cooling Pet Cot
- Breathable mesh fabric helps keep pets cool by allowing air to flow
- Elevates pets more than 7 inches off the ground
The K&H Elevated Cooling Pet Cot offers a different way of cooling your dog by lifting them off the ground. This design allows the air to circulate under and around your dog more freely.
This cot is made of breathable material and a sturdy frame that can support dogs up to 170 lbs. The bottom is non-skid feet. The cover can be removed. Both the mesh and the cover are easy to wash.
It is a great option for dogs who love to stay most of the time outdoors.
10. CoolDog Reusable Ice Mat
- Keep your dog cool safe and happy!
- Durable canvas, non-slip bottom and Hot/Cold Mat insert
The CoolDog Reusable Ice Mat is made of hot/cold insert that uses a purified water system to cool or warm your dog. In the summer months, you can freeze the liquid pack in the freezer and use it as a cooling pad. It’ll be good and ready to use in 2-3 hours.
Whereas in the winter, you can microwave the mat and use it as a heating blanket for your dog. Some users found this mat was smaller than they expected. The good thing, you can buy two or three and link them together to form a much larger one.
Who Should Buy a Dog Cooling Pad?
In my opinion, any dog owners who live in hot or warm climates should buy a dog cooling pad for their pooches. Unlike humans, dogs can’t sweat to cool off. Once their body temperature rises, they release heat by panting, which is very unsettling to watch.
Still panting might not be enough to cool their body down, especially on very hot and humid days. Some dog owners might opt to put their dogs in a fully air-conditioned room. Sure this can work, but you’ll end up paying more energy bills at the end of each month.
A cooling pad or mat for dogs provides a simple, low-cost solution for your dog to regulate their body temperature. They don’t eat up electricity and rake up your energy bills.
What is a Cooling Pad or Mat for Dogs?
A dog cooling pad is simply a dog pad with a cooling feature. There are several types of dog cooling pads that work differently depending on the technologies used. Let’s take a look at each of them.
How Do Dog Cooling Pads Work?
Dog cooling pads work with a principle that heat always tries to move from a hotter object to a colder one. The example of this principle can be seen when your dog lays down on a cool floor on a hot summer day.
As the heat is transferred from your dog’s body into the floor, the floor becomes hotter. This is when your dog gets up and moves to find another cool spot to lay on.
Dog cooling pads are designed with this same principle in mind. When your dog lays on the mat, your dog’s body heat is absorbed by the heat-absorbing elements in the pad (can be water, gels, ice packs, or breathable materials).
Eventually, the transferred heat will heat the mat. This is when you need to “recharge” it in a cool space. Thermal radiations then begin to move heat away from the pad and into the floor and the surrounding air.
After the heat has dissipated into the surrounding environment, the pad then will be ready to use again.
Different Types of Dog Cooling Pads
Gel Dog Cooling Pads
Most dog cooling pads on our reviews are gel pads. The reasons I prefer these gel pads over other types of pads are that they are low maintenance and easy to clean.
These pas use a cooling gel that is activated automatically when your dog lays on it. This pad can stay cool up to 3 hours at a time. Then, you can recharge it by leaving it in a cool place with indirect sunlight for 20 minutes.
Do not put the pads under direct sunlight as the gel will absorb the heat and render the pads useless.
Ice-Pack Dog Cooling Pads
These cooling pads use a set of ice packs that you have to freeze in your freezer for several hours and put them into the pad before use. These ice-pack dog cooling pads are an ideal choice for those who live in a scorching climate.
Water-Based Dog Cooling Pads
Dog cooling pads or mats can be your dog’s favorite place to lay down and cool off their body after a long, hot day outside. If you’re in the market for the best dog cooling pads, the Arf Pets Self Cooling Pad is the best choice for you.
Breathable Material Dog Cooling Pads
This breathable material cooling pads for dogs use breathable materials. These breathable materials like linen, cotton, or bamboo, naturally draw health from a dog’s body to cool it down.
Elevated Dog Cooling Pads
The elevated dog cooling pads are made from mesh and elevated to help your dog stays cool by lifting them off the ground so the air can circulate under and through the mesh freely.
Important Features to Consider
Here’re some important features to look for when buying a cooling pad for your dog.
Safety. The safety of your dog should always be your main concern. If your dog is a heavy chewer, you may want to choose water-based or ice pack dog cooling pads.
If your dog is calm enough to lay down and rest without issue, you may want to consider the gel-based dog cooling pads.
Filling. There are three main choices of filling for dog cooling pads: water, gel, and ice packs. The types of fillings that you choose will affect the cooling power and how fast the pads can be recharged.
For casual use, elevated dog cooling pads or pads made from breathable materials could be an excellent option for you.
Size. You’ll want to choose a cooling pad that is large enough for your dog to stand, lay, and comfortably turn around as various portions of the pad become warm. If the pad is too small, part of your dog’s body will hang off the cooling surface.
Portability. If you plan to take the pad with you during vacations with your dog, you’ll want to choose a model that folds or fits easily into a bag.
Ease of cleaning. The majority of dog cooling pads in this list are made of waterproof materials that you can wipe clean. Some pads also come with a washable cover that you can throw into the washing machine for quick cleaning.
Activation. Some cooling pads are activated by pressure, while other cooling pads must be frozen in a freezer. Choose which one is the most convenient for you.
Multipurpose. Some cooling pads have a dual function as a cooling pad and a heater pad. If you have an older dog with arthritis or other joint issues, this cooling pad might be a perfect choice for you.
Do Dog Cooling Pads Really Work?
Getting overheated can be dangerous for dogs. This condition leads to a myriad of health problems such as brain swelling, internal organ damage, and other serious conditions.
Dog cooling pads provide a quick and easy way to keep your dog from overheating.
What Are Some Signs that Your Dog is Overheated?
The most common first signs of overheating in dogs are excessive drooling and panting. After these early signs, they might act confused or collapse.
When your dog develops seizures, tremors, or convulsion, they are in life-threatening symptoms and should be taken to the vet immediately.
Are Dog Cooling Pads Safe?
In most cases, a dog cooling pad is considered safe. If your dog is a heavy chewer, you may need to supervise your dog’s use of the cooling pad. If your dog has special health considerations, it’s better to consult with your vet first before buying a cooling pad for your dog.
What Are Other Ways to Keep My Dog Cool?
Aside from using a cooling pad, there are other ways to keep your dog cool.
First, keep your dog inside in the air conditioning when it’s unbearably hot outside.
Next, make sure to provide plenty of water. You can keep a water bowl in each area that your dog spends a lot of time.
You can also try a cooling dog vest to keep your dog cool when walking outside. A dog pool is a great option too; your can dog can play while keeping themselves cool.