Pitbull is a short-hair, single coat dog which has many potential skin problems that you might unaware of. Some of those potential skin problems include allergies, hot spots, dry skin, folliculitis, seborrheic dermatitis, and demodectic mange. Finding the best shampoo for Pitbulls is an important task since the wrong dog shampoo can actually worsen your Pitbull’s skin condition.
To help you find the best dog shampoo for your Pitbulls, we have prepared this 72 hours worth of review. First, let’s find out what kind of shampoo that your Pitbull needs before buying the shampoo.
Best Shampoo for Pitbulls – Table Comparison
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
What Do You Need to Know?
Pitbull is a short-hair dog which means you don’t need to bathe them as often as other dogs with longer hair. However, this depends on how active your Pitbull is, the more active your Pitbull the more often you might want to bathe them.
The decision on how often you should bathe your Pitbull is entirely up to you. When you feel your Pitbull is smelly enough, that’s the time to bathe them. Before and after you bathe them, remember to brush their coat to help distribute natural oils all over their coat. This is important to keep the coat stays shiny and healthy.
Pitbull is also known as a single-coat dog which means your Pitbull will shed less. Your Pitbull will shed more during the shedding season. When Pitbull is shedding more than normal during and outside the shedding season, there is a chance that your Pitbull might not get the right diet or use the right shampoo.
Pitbull Skin Problems
Pitbulls are prone to some skin problems that you might not find in other breeds, such as rashes, hives, and sunburn. These conditions if not treated quickly may cause your dog to scratch themselves often and ultimately lead to scratching problems ranging from mild irritation to robust scratching.
Therefore, the decision to pick the right shampoo for your Pitbulls is based entirely on your Pitbull’s skin condition. For example, let’s say your Pitbull has dry skin during summer then you should pick a shampoo with moisturizing properties.
The following is some skin problems that are common in Pitbulls:
1. Dry Skin
Pitbulls have short coats which means they are vulnerable to dry skin problems. There are many causes of dry skin, for example, climate, allergic reaction, poor diet, parasites, skin infections, digestion problems, and so on.
To know exactly what is the cause, you have to bring your dog to Vets for a complete examination. However, using a shampoo with moisturizing properties containing ingredients such as oatmeals or coconut oils can offer some quick temporary relief, while you are working with your Vets to handle the root cause.
The second common skin problem in Pitbull is an allergy. These skin allergies can be triggered by many things from the wrong food to the wrong shampoos. According to ASPCA, seasonal allergies are the most common skin problem among Pitbull breeds.
At the time of writing, researchers are still unsure what is the cause of this seasonal allergies. Whether these allergies are triggered by some allergens or just annual routines, is still unknown.
However, no matter what is the cause, we know one thing for sure that these allergies cause the dogs to scratch themselves incessantly and often lead to more serious conditions if not treated quickly. And hypoallergenic shampoo can provide first help relief for this issue.
3. Hot Spots
Hot spots are another common skin problems for short-haired dogs such as Pitbulls. Dogs often scratch these hot spots areas (bare areas of skin) incessantly, often to the point of removing entire skin, which leads to more serious health problems — irritated, inflamed, or wounded skin.
To treat these hot spots, you should use dog shampoos that contain Manuka Honey. Manuka Honey has a special property that helps recover the damaged skin and fight bacteria and infection.
In spite of their tough exterior, Pitbull has one weakness, it is their sensitive skin. Their sensitive skin can react strongly to many things in the environment. They may react to natural things such as insect bites and stings, as well as to flea and tick infestation. They may also react to chemical irritants such as soaps, shampoos, and other similar products.
When they become itchy because of irritation, you may want to try to give them shampoo with oatmeal infusions to soothe their itchiness.
Because of their adverse reactions to skin irritants, some veterinarians recommend applying skin softener or lotion on a regular basis. At a minimum, you should apply the lotion two or three times a week.
We recommend lotion such as Skin So Soft which has been known for its moisturizing effects. Or you can also use specialized lotions made for dogs such as Warren London. Remember to test this product in a small area first before going full.
- Suitable for the entire family
- Spf 30 Water Resistant
- Premium non-oily leave-in conditioner that hydrates, conditions, de-matts, and moisturizes. It will leave your pup's skin and coat feeling silky smooth without feeling greasy.
- Dog Itching Skin Relief - Adds Vital Nutrients while Moisturizing and Conditioning. Helps combat dog dry skin, dog itchy skin, and dog dandruff. Works well as routine maintenance in between baths using dog shampoo, oatmeal dog shampoo, and dog shampoo for sensitive skin.
The Best Shampoo for Pitbulls
A quick recap before we are going to our review. Before you pick out your Pitbull’s shampoo, you should know first what kind of skin condition that they have. We have explained there are four skin conditions that Pitbull can become vulnerable to. You may want to check that section regularly to determine your current Pitbull’s skin problems.
Different skin conditions require different solutions, so you might have to change the shampoo selection every few months depending on your dog’s skin conditions at the time.
Aside from getting the right shampoo, a good diet is another important component in getting healthy skin. You may want to work with your vet to determine what is the best diet for your Pitbull.
1. Healthy Breeds Oatmeal Shampoo with Aloe Vera
- Provides relief for itchy, scaling and sensitive skin with the mild oatmeal and aloe formula! A gentle shampoo is more suitable for dogs with sensitive skin or allergies!
- Hypoallergenic formula is safe for use with topical flea control treatments! Keep your dog fresh and clean with the delicious Pina Colada scent!
Healthy Breeds Oatmeal Shampoo with Aloe (link to Amazon) is my top pick for the best shampoo for Pitbulls. This shampoo is a specialized shampoo made for the Pitbull breed. Healthy Breed has done a great job to formulate a shampoo for Pitbull which has sensitive and dry skin.
You might have guessed from the name, this shampoo is benefited from two excellent ingredients: oatmeal and aloe vera. The combination of those two ingredients helps to relieve dry and itchy skin, and rejuvenate skin and promote healing.
It is also pH balanced, which is an important property for a dog with sensitive skin. There is also hypoallergenic formula added to the shampoo so it is safe to use with topical flea treatments. After a bath, the shampoo will leave a nice coconut scent which you can smell for several days.
2. Pro Pet Works Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo + Conditioner
- [MADE IN USA] VET RECOMMENDED: Our Shampoo + Conditioner formula is recommended by Vets (take a look at our vet reviews) specially formulated for pets with allergies to food, grass and flea bites. PH balanced for sensitive skin. Cherry Almond smell NO ALCOHOL, NO SULPHATES, NO ADDED COLORS, NO HARSH CHEMICALS, NO FRAGRANCE. MADE FROM ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS. "100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE" "itchy dog shampoo, dog shampoo oatmeal
- NATURAL, ORGANIC INGREDIENTS THAT ARE MADE FOR DRY, SENSITIVE, ITCHY SKIN: The organic aloe vera and almonds oil is therapeutic and soothing for your pets skin and coat. Keeps your pet smelling fresh.
This Pro Pet Works Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo (link to Amazon) is another excellent shampoo for dogs with allergies to food, grass, and flea bites. So if your dog happens to have an allergy with one of those three things, you may want to consider getting this shampoo. It is vet recommended, so you can be sure there is no harmful ingredient used — no alcohol, no sulfates, no added colors, no harsh chemicals, and no fragrance.
The combination of oatmeal, aloe vera, and almond oil contained in this shampoo helps to keep your dog’s coat and skin clean, smell good and healthy, leaving the nice trail of cherries and almond scent which lingers for several days. They also soothe the dog’s coat and skin well and provide a calm, relaxing sensation.
3. Bodhi Dog Oatmeal Shampoo
- SOOTHES AND MOISTURIZES DRY, ITCHY SKIN: Our all plant botanical based moisturizing pet shampoo contains high quality natural ingredients including oat proteins, aloe vera, coconut, vitamins A, D & E and fruit extracts to provide instant cooling and calming relief to inflamed, damaged skin. Our gentle oatmeal and baking soda shampoo soothes irritated skin and helps to relieve itching and scratching while leaving your dog or cat fresh and clean with moisturized skin and silky, conditioned fur.
- FORMULATED FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: Our soothing pet wash is effective yet extremely gentle making it an excellent shampoo for animals with allergies and other sensitivities. Our all natural oatmeal shampoo is 100% detergent and alcohol free and 100% non-toxic. Its a safe alternative to other cleaners that contain harsh chemicals. Our non toxic pet shampoo does NOT CONTAIN parabens, SLS, or stripping Ethyl alcohol.
The Bodhi Dog Oatmeal Shampoo (link to Amazon) has become one of our favorite dog shampoos for years. This is simply the best shampoo for dogs with dry, itchy, inflamed, or damaged skin problems. The ingredients include oat protein, aloe vera, coconut, vitamin A, D & E, and fruit extracts.
It is free from detergent, alcohol, or any toxic chemical that can harm your dog. Aside from using only high-quality natural ingredients, this shampoo is enhanced a bit more by the addition of baking soda that provides antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and anti-fungal properties. And after a bath, you will smell a nice light apple scent coming out of your dog’s coat and skin.
Healthy breeds oatmeal shampoo with aloe vera is our pick for the best shampoo for Pitbulls. This shampoo is specifically made for Pitbulls and contains the best ingredients that can alleviate many Pitbull’s skin problems.