Pitbull is a short-hair, single coat dog which has many potential skin problems that you might unaware of. Some of those potential skin issues include allergies, hot spots, dry skin, folliculitis, seborrheic dermatitis, and demodectic mange. Finding the best shampoo for Pitbulls is an important task since the wrong product can actually worsen their skin condition.
To help you find the most suitable shampoo for your Pit, we have prepared these 72 hours’ worth of review. First, let’s find out what kind of shampoo that Pitbull needs before buying one.
- Best Shampoo for Pitbulls – Table Comparison
- What Do You Need to Know?
- Pitbull Skin Problems
- The Best Shampoos for Pitbulls in 2020
- 1. My Top Pick: Healthy Breeds Oatmeal Aloe Dog Shampoo
- 2. Our Runner-Up Pick: Pro Pet Works Natural Oatmeal Pet Shampoo + Conditioner
- 3. Bodhi Dog Natural Dog Shampoo
- 4. Burt’s Bees All Natural Shampoo & Conditioner for Dogs
- 5.Best Shampoo for Pitbull with Skin Infections: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Pet Shampoo
- Pitbull Shampoo Buyer’s Guide
- Related FAQs
Best Shampoo for Pitbulls – Table Comparison
What Do You Need to Know?
Pitbull is a short-hair dog which means you don’t need to bathe them as often as other dogs with longer hair. However, this depends on how active your dog is, the more active they are the more often you might want to bathe them.
The decision on how often you should bathe your dog is entirely up to you. When you feel they are smelly enough, that’s the time to bathe them. Before and after bath time, remember to brush their coat to help distribute natural oils all over their coat. This is important to keep the coat stays shiny and healthy.
Pitbull is also known as a single-coat dog which means they shed less. When they shed more than normal during and outside the shedding season, there is a chance that your dog might not get the right diet or use the right shampoo.
Pitbull Skin Problems
Pitbulls are prone to some skin issues that you might not find in other breeds, such as rashes, hives, and sunburn. These conditions if not treated quickly may cause your Pit to scratch themselves often and ultimately lead to scratching problems ranging from mild irritation to robust scratching.
Therefore, the decision to pick the right shampoo for your Pit is based entirely on their skin condition. For example, let’s say your Pit has dry skin during summer then you should pick a shampoo with moisturizing properties.
The following is some skin issues that are common in Pitbulls:
1. Dry Skin
Pitbulls have short coats which means they are vulnerable to dry skin. There are many causes of these, for example, climate, allergic reaction, poor diet, parasites, infections, digestion problems, and so on.
To know exactly what is the cause, you have to bring your Pit to Vets for a complete examination. However, using a shampoo with moisturizing properties containing ingredients like oatmeals, coconut or almond oil can offer some quick temporary relief, while you are working with your Vets to handle the root cause.
The second common skin problem is an allergy. These skin allergies can be triggered by many things from the wrong food to the wrong shampoos. According to ASPCA, seasonal allergies are the most common skin issue among Pitbull breeds.
At the time of writing, researchers are still unsure what is the cause of this seasonal allergies. Whether these allergies are triggered by some allergens or just annual routines, is still unknown.
However, no matter what is the cause, we know one thing for sure that these allergies cause the dogs to scratch themselves incessantly and often lead to more serious conditions if not treated quickly. And hypoallergenic shampoo can provide first help relief for this issue.
3. Hot Spots
Hot spots are another common skin problems for short-haired dogs. They often scratch these hot spots areas (bare areas of skin) incessantly, often to the point of removing entire skin, which leads to more serious health problems — irritated, inflamed, or wounded skin.
To treat these hot spots, you may want to use dog shampoos that contain honey. Honey has a special property that helps recover the damaged skin and fight bacteria and infection.
In spite of their tough exterior, they have one weakness, it is their sensitive skin. Their sensitive skin can react strongly to many things in the environment. They may react to natural things such as insect bites and stings, as well as to flea and tick infestation. They may also react to chemical irritants such as soap and other similar products.
When they become itchy because of irritation, you may want to try to give them shampoo with oatmeal and aloe infusions to soothe their itchiness.
Because of their adverse reactions to skin irritants, some veterinarians recommend applying skin softener or lotion on a regular basis. At a minimum, you should apply the lotion two or three times a week.
The Best Shampoos for Pitbulls in 2020
1. My Top Pick: Healthy Breeds Oatmeal Aloe Dog Shampoo
- Provides relief for itchy, scaling and sensitive skin with the mild oatmeal and aloe formula! A gentle shampoo is more suitable for dogs with sensitive skin or allergies!
The Healthy Breeds Dog Shampoo is my top pick for the best dog shampoo for Pitbulls. Made in the USA, this hypoallergenic shampoo is a specialized shampoo made for the Pitbull breed. Healthy Breed has done a great job to formulate it for Pits with dry, sensitive skin.
You might have guessed from the name, this product is benefited from two excellent natural ingredients: oatmeal and aloe vera. The combination of those two natural ingredients helps to relieve dry and itchy skin, and rejuvenate skin and promote healing.
It is also pH balanced, which is an important property for dogs with sensitive skin. There is also hypoallergenic formula added to this product so it is safe for use with topical flea treatments. After a bath, this Pitbull shampoo will leave a nice coconut scent that can keep your dog smelling fresher for several days.
2. Our Runner-Up Pick: Pro Pet Works Natural Oatmeal Pet Shampoo + Conditioner
- [MADE IN USA] VET RECOMMENDED: Our Shampoo + Conditioner formula is recommended by Vets (take a look at our vet reviews) specially formulated for pets with allergies to food, grass and flea bites. PH balanced for sensitive skin. Cherry Almond smell NO ALCOHOL, NO SULPHATES, NO ADDED COLORS, NO HARSH CHEMICALS, NO FRAGRANCE. MADE FROM ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS. "100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE" "itchy dog shampoo, dog shampoo oatmeal
This Pro Pet Works Natural Pet Shampoo is another excellent hypoallergenic shampoo for canines with allergies to food, grass, and flea and tick bites. So if your Pit happens to have an allergy with one of those three things, you may want to consider getting this product. It is vet recommended, so you can be sure there is no harmful ingredient used — no alcohol, no sulfates, no added colors, no harsh chemicals, and no fragrance.
The combination of essential oils like almond oil and other natural ingredients contained in this Pitbull shampoo helps to keep your Pitbull’s skin smell good and healthy, leaving the nice trail of cherries and almond scent which lingers for several days. They also soothe the dog’s coat and skin well and provide a calm, relaxing sensation. Plus, it’s made in the USA.
3. Bodhi Dog Natural Dog Shampoo
- SOOTHES AND MOISTURIZES DRY, ITCHY SKIN: Our all plant botanical based moisturizing pet shampoo contains high quality natural ingredients including oat proteins, aloe vera, coconut, vitamins A, D & E and fruit extracts to provide instant cooling and calming relief to inflamed, damaged skin. Our gentle oatmeal and baking soda shampoo soothes irritated skin and helps to relieve itching and scratching while leaving your dog or cat fresh and clean with moisturized skin and silky, conditioned fur.
The Bodhi Dog Shampoo has become my favorite natural pet shampoo for years. The ingredients include oat protein, aloe vera, coconut oil, vitamin A, D & E, and fruit extracts.
It is free from detergent, alcohol, or any toxic chemical that can harm your Pit. Aside from using only high-quality natural ingredients, this product is enhanced a bit more by the addition of baking soda that provides antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and anti-fungal properties. And after bath time, you will smell a nice light apple scent coming out of your dog’s coat.
4. Burt’s Bees All Natural Shampoo & Conditioner for Dogs
- SOOTHES AND SOFTENS — Burt's Bees Oatmeal Shampoo cleans, soothes, softens, and conditions your dog's dry skin and coat
The Burt’s Bees All Natural Shampoo is another good product for canine with sensitive skin and coat. Its formula contains oatmeal, honey, shea butter, and beeswax that soothe irritated areas and moisturize skin and coat.
It is pH balanced and completely free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and toxic chemicals. It helps remove dog odor and leaves a light smell on your Pitbull’s skin as well, which is great if strong scents bother you. And if your Pit is suffering from fleas, rest assured that it’s safe for use with topical flea and tick control products.
5.Best Shampoo for Pitbull with Skin Infections: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Pet Shampoo
- GENTLE HEALING – Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo for Dogs contains coal tar, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur to treat skin scaling caused by seborrhea, relieve mange and other parasitic infections, and treat fungal and bacterial infections. Colloidal Oatmeal and Allantoin hydrate skin and promote healing.
The Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Medicated Shampoo is the most preferred shampoo for dogs who are suffering from skin scaling caused by Seborrhea, demodectic mange, and other parasitic, fungal and bacterial infections.
This product contains coal tar, salicylic acid & micronized sulfur that are proven to be effective to take care of irritated skin. In addition, it is soap-free and its formula provides in-depth cleaning and light smell.
Pitbull Shampoo Buyer’s Guide
Different Types of Dog Shampoos
Before we delve deeper into what to look for before buying for Pitbull shampoo, let’s take a look at the different types of dog shampoos available on the market these days for all the various types of dog coats.
- General dog shampoo. This shampoo is designed for everyday use. It is used to clean dirt and debris off your dog’s coat and paws.
- Puppy shampoo. Because a Pitbull puppy’s skin is more sensitive than adults, you need to use a shampoo that is designed specifically for a puppy.
- Medicated dog shampoo. As the name suggests, this type of dog shampoo is formulated to treat various skin problems in dogs, such as skin allergies, bacterial skin infection, and yeast infection.
- Flea shampoo. This shampoo is a medicated shampoo that is effective in removing fleas on dogs.
Important Factors to Consider
Type of Skin and Skin Problem
Pitbulls’ fur is short, and they only have a single coat. The good news is, this type of coat is easy to maintain, and unlike German shepherds, they are not heavy shedders, so maintenance is quite easy. The bad news is their coat type making them more prone to various skin issues.
Therefore you want to use a product that will condition and clean their skin and coat properly without stripping away the skin’s natural oils or leaving any residue behind. For most Pit breeds, a dog hypoallergenic shampoo is your safe bet.
Also, you want to think about what skin problems that your Pit is currently experiencing or had experienced at some other time in their lives, and then refer to the different types of dog shampoos that I’ve described above.
As I have explained previously there are four skin conditions that Pitbull can become vulnerable to so you may want to check that section too to determine your current dog’s skin problems.
Aside from getting the most suitable shampoo, a good diet is another important component in getting healthy skin. You may also want to work with your vet to determine what is the right diet for them.
Your Pitbull’s Age
If you have a Pitbull puppy, then you should use a Pitbull puppy shampoo that is formulated especially for them. This puppy shampoo is often labeled as safe for puppies. Don’t use adult dog shampoos as they are too harsh for your Pitbull puppy’s tender skin.
Since various Pitbull breeds are known to have sensitive skin, it’s important to check the labels first and make sure the shampoo does not contain artificial colors and fragrances, alcohols, detergents, or any other chemicals that can cause skin irritation and inflammation.
Generally, you will want to opt for a dog shampoo that uses organic and contains natural ingredients like oatmeal, vitamin E, rosemary, and the likes. These natural ingredients are gentler for your dog’s skin and will keep irritation at bay.
1. How often should I bathe my Pitbull?
Because Pitbulls have short fur and natural oils that protect their fur and skin from dirt and bacteria, they can be bathed once a month or as infrequent as once every six months, depending on your dog’s activity level and skin.
Regardless of how active your Pit is, you’ll still need to brush them a few times a week to keep them clean.
2. How to make my Pitbull smell better?
It’s important to know first the source of your Pit’s bad smell before we can take any steps to make them smell better. If your dog loves to spend a lot of time outside, they may have an unpleasant smell from outside. In this case, you want to use deodorizing canine shampoo and conditioner to get rid of the bad odor.
Ear or skin infections also can cause your dog’s skin to release a horrible odor. If you’re suspicious that your Pit might be suffering from either of these infections, you should take them to the vet immediately, don’t wait.
Sharing is caring!