Every dog loves a good, comfortable bed to cuddle and sleep on, regardless of how much time they spend in bed. With so much choice available, however, finding out which one is the best plush dog bed is rarely easy.
Not only does the best plush bed give your dog a safe and sound sleeping that they deserve, but it also helps to relieve many medical ailments that older dogs might have such as arthritis, hip dysplasia, or other chronic joints conditions.
Before we tell you which plush beds that we would recommend for your furry friends, let’s first examine the subject in more detail.
What is a Plush Dog Bed?
You might be confused with so many different types of dog beds available whenever you browse through the aisle of the dog bed department at your favorite online or offline pet stores.
There are orthopedic dog beds, donuts and bolster dog beds, pillow or cushion dog beds, heated dog beds, and outdoor cots and beds.
When we talk about the plush dog bed, we refer to the materials that construct the bed; the plush dog bed is made with a quilt under its surface fabric and is softer than the firm dog bed.
While the aforementioned dog beds refer to the function or shape of the beds, so we can say that certain orthopedic or donut dog beds are plush beds if they are made from some types of plush materials.
What Types of Dogs Need a Plush Dog Bed?
I would recommend using a plush dog bed only for senior, or dogs with joint problems. A healthy puppy without any medical condition would be a lot better to sleep in a simple dog mattress.
Sleeping in a simple pad or mattress without too much cushion, just like what their ancestors did back then in the wild, can naturally help to promote healthy bones development and joint.
The Benefits of Plush Dog Bed
The biggest benefit of using a plush dog bed is to help relieve aching joints or fatigue experienced by dogs with arthritis, hip dysplasia, or other chronic joint conditions.
At the end of the day, it is also a go-to place for your dog to curl up and sleep comfortably.
Last but not least, sleeping in the plush bed can keep your dog warm all night, keeping your dog from getting any cold or illness.
What to Look For Before Buying Plush Dog Bed for Your Dog?
Now you know what plush dog bed is and why your buddy needs the right mattress to maintain their sanity. Here are some factors that you may want to consider when buying the plush bed for your dog:
1.Determine first what your dog needs most.
Does your dog need a bed for easing off their joint pain? Or do you want to give your dog a bed that they can snuggle down into all day long?
For your further reference, here’re a quick explanation of different types of plush beds for dogs based on their shapes and functions:
- Orthopedic dog bed: this bed is used to provide orthopedic support for senior or injured dogs experiencing joint pain or joint problems.
- Donut dog bed: this bed has a round or oval shape like a donut with a cushioned bottom and raised side perfect for small to medium dogs who like to curl up.
- Nest/burrowing dog bed: this bed is similar to a donut dog bed, but circled with an elevated sidewall, which can keep your dog warm during the windy and snowy days.
- Sofa dog bed: this bed looks like the standard regular sofa that you have in your living room. It has a cushioned surface, with one or two raised arms, and higher back wall.
- Pillow dog bed: a simple bed made of a large pillow.
- Heated dog bed: a bed that can generate heat to warm up your canine at cold days, or provide a gentle heat soothes for older dogs experiencing joints pain.
- Outdoor/cot dog bed: elevated dog bed designed to be used for outdoor trips.
2. Focus on comfort.
The most important thing to consider when buying a mattress for your dog is the comfort level. You don’t necessarily need to buy the most expensive bed for your pooch, but you do want to find a bed that your canine is comfortable with.
Plush dog beds in a range between $50 to $100 are already good enough; you don’t need to buy more expensive mattresses.
To find the best bed that your dog is comfortable with, you need to consider these factors: the type of materials, size, and firmness of the bed.
3. Choose the right filler.
The best dog bed should be made from a material that is comfortable and robust. Generally, most dog beds consist of two main components: the filing/cushioning and the outer cover.
The filling/cushioning can be filled with different types of fillers; the most common four are:
3.1. Memory foam is a high-quality foam—often has the same quality as the human-grade orthopedic foam—that provides orthopedic support and pressure relief.
A dog bed made of memory foam is the best choice for older dogs and those with motion-limiting ailments.
3.2. Super foam or also known as polyfoam is a cheaper version of orthopedic memory foam. It does not offer the same support as memory foam, but it is suitable enough for most dogs (without joint ailments).
3.3 Polyester fiberfill is the top favorite filler choice among many dog beds because it’s washable, easy to use, lightweight, inexpensive and hypoallergenic.
Polyfill is a good choice if you or your dog has allergies. It is an excellent choice too for most smaller dogs because it insulates which makes a warmer, snugger bed than other materials.
The downside is that polyfill tends to clump easily, but the good news you can replace it inexpensively if it gets clumpy.
3.4 Cedar filling is often used as an extra filler together with other materials for its ability to reduce odor and repel fleas, moths, and other insects.
For some dog parents, these cedar shavings raise a concern of allergic reaction, which could be experienced by the owners and their dogs.
To be sure, put a small cloth bag of cedar shavings near your dog and observe their reaction.
If you’re an eco-friendly dog parent, you may want to consider a dog mattress from recycled bedding and clothing materials, too.
4. Choose the best fabric.
Dog beds can be made from different type of fabrics; the frequently used ones are nylon, cotton, denim, fleece, microfiber, and faux suede.
Which one should you choose? That depends on your taste and your dog’s needs.
If your dog has a tendency to shred everything in the house, it would be your best bet to get a bed made of sturdy, durable materials such as heavy-duty nylon canvas fabrics.
For a dog that has a long, thick fur, you may want to get a plush dog bed made from a more cooling fabric.
Or if you live in a cold climate, you may want to opt for a bed made out of heavier fabrics, such as Berber or fleece.
5. Choose the right cover.
Some dog beds also include removable and machine washable covers when you buy them.
These dog bed covers can be made from the following materials: cotton, polyester, fleece, and faux suede.
In most cases, those four materials are an excellent choice for bed covers; however, a few dogs might develop an allergy to one out of those four materials. So, this is something that you’ll want to keep in mind when buying a dog bed.
6. Find the right size.
Just like their owner, your dog also needs a bed with the right size for them to sleep comfortably. The right size means they can sleep without their feet and legs hanging over the sides.
To determine the right bed size for your dog, you need to measure and weigh your dog before you shop, measure from nose to tail.
Once you get your measurement, add an extra one or two sizes for added comfort.
Large dog breeds might have fewer options in choosing a bed that is big enough to accommodate their size.
If you have a large dog, such as Great Dane, and Newfoundland, you may want to look for a bed that offers standard sizes that fit the breed’s specific measurement and weight.
Besides measuring the size of the bed according to your dog’s measurement, you should also measure if the bed is sizeable enough to fit the room where the dog sleeps.
7. Get a bed that is easy to clean and maintain.
Let’s say you have an older dog with joint problems and incontinence issue. Aside from getting an orthopedic memory foam bed, you may also want to consider if the mattress is water-resistant or not.
Aside from the bed, you should consider the bed cover, too.
You should at least pick a machine washable bed cover, so you can easily wash the cover bed regularly to keep your buddy’s bed neat and looking great—this is especially important if you have a dog that sheds a lot.
As a side note, you should remember never to machine washed the filling of a dog bed unless instructed otherwise by the manufacturer.
The reason is that machine-washed the filling of the bed, regardless of the type, can put the bed beyond repair.
8. Look for a bed made with CertiPUR-US(R) certified foam.
CertiPUR-US(R) certification means you get a bed made from a foam that is free from harmful chemical substances such as mercury, heavy metal, lead, toxic fire retardants, and other similar materials that are dangerous for you and your dog’s health.
The 5 Top-Rated Plush Dog Beds
When it comes to buying plush beds for dogs, it can be a bit of a minefield. Some manufacturers even offer multiple different models. With so many different models to choose from, it can be quiet challenging to select the best one.
We have narrowed our search down to 5 of the top selling plush beds.
Each model has been carefully reviewed and tested based on factors like the bed functions, quality of materials, user ratings, ease of cleaning and maintenance, and other thoughts.
Here are our top contenders for the title of best plush dog beds. We’ve listed all the pros and cons of each model to make it easy for you to decide which one might be the most suitable for your dog’s needs.
1.Best Orthopedic Dog Bed for Large and Extra Large Dogs: Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed.
- CALIBRATED FOR BIG DOGS: Available in Large, XL, Giant XXL dog bed sizes. Too powerful for small dogs.
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: Foam will retain 90% of original shape & loft for 10 years or your money back.
Manually handcrafted in California, this dog mattress features the American-made therapeutic foam that will retain at least 90% of its original shape and loft for ten years.
Many dog parents were reportedly very impressed with the quality of the bed to support every curve of their dog’s body as they slept.
It’s supportive and comfortable, but not rigid making this bed an ideal choice for large or extra large dogs who suffer from arthritis, joint pain, hip dysplasia, general aches, or other types of pain.
2. Best Orthopedic Dog Bed for Small to Medium Dogs: PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed.
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain (arthritis) and improved health, mobility, & energy. (ii) Calming bed for dogs who suffer from anxiety. (iii) Recycled 'green' support bolsters are generously filled. (iv) Durable & comfortable polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support & security. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (iii) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your home. (v) Replacement covers available separately
Next, on our list, we have FetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed. This mattress is made of high-quality solid memory foam fill. The memory foam used is real memory foam, not that egg crate material that can often be found in a poorly made dog bed model.
Many dog parents were also impressed with the quality of the bed cover; the cover held up well for months without no shrinkage, minimal fading, and no broken zippers.
It’s both water-resistant and washable. When an accident happens you don’t need to wash the cover, just put the cover in the dryer for 10 minutes, and it’s as good as new.
You can remove each part of the bed easily: the bolster, memory foam fill, liner, and the actual cover; that makes washing the bed a breeze.
3. Best Sofa Style Plush Dog Beds:
Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed Lounge Sofa.
- Designed with extra care, your pet's comfort is our priority. Your dog will get a solid night's sleep in this luxurious bed. The cushioned poly-fill bolster provides your dog exceptional comfort, even for dogs with joint pain or arthritis.
- Water-resistant liner and human-grade mattress foam, this orthopedic bed has been put to the test proven to be durable and long lasting.
This is the best sofa-style dog bed for dog parents who are looking to spoil their beloved four-legged child.
The vast majority of dog parents were thrilled with the quality of this bed.
It has outside fabric that doesn’t stain and holds the liquid from penetrating through if an accident occurs.
The quality of the memory foam is outstanding too. It features 3.5 inches thick and dense memory foam base that supports and comforts those with arthritis or other chronic conditions.
4. Best Luxury Dog Bed: BESSIE AND BARNIE Plush Faux Fur Bagel Dog Bed.
- 360-degree zipper easy to assemble and to clean
- Cover is machine washable/dryer friendly
This soft plush bed is what you might want if you are looking to keep your dog cozy and warm during the winter.
Many dog parents reported that the quality of the cover and the dense filing were quite satisfying. There was also plenty of head and neck support for your dog to snuggle into the bed.
5. Best Budget Plush Dog Bed: JOYELF Orthopedic Dog Bed.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS:The outer cover of this dog bed with classy micro suede & faux wool; The pad have two sides -Faux wool side offers unmatched warmth and comfort and Micro suede side for Cooling During Summer; Filling Material with Relax breathable & ultra soft PP cotton; The Bottom Material of the pet bed comes with built-in nonslip rubber backing and waterproof coating
- SMART Design:Distinctive boat-shape design makes the dog bed seems so cute;Relax breathable & ultra soft cotton bolster can protect your pet's neck, relieve the fatigue and gives your pet a good support;Removable cover is machine washable;The independent bottom pad of this pet bed offers two sides for any season. Plush for warmer and the other cooler weather;The bottom of this tough dog bed is Non-skid and Waterproof;Brown color is very coordinated your home decoration
Many people vouched that this more budget-conscious bed was the cutest dog bed that they had ever seen. Suitable for small to medium dogs, this dog bed is constructed from breathable & ultra-soft cotton bolster.
The bed offers two sides for any season: warmer and cooler weather.
A cute dog bed that is super soft with two extra bonuses toys, what more do you want?
All the plush dog beds that we have reviewed here have some great features which make your dog sleep better than they have in years.
But since the majority of this blog’s readers are parents of big dogs, our choice falls on Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed as our top pick.
Even though the price might seem too steep, but with the quality of the bed that you can expect to last for years buying this bed is a cost wise.