After reviewing 15 different outdoor ultrasonic bark controls, I pick the Modus Anti Barking Device as the best outdoor ultrasonic dog bark controller. This device is affordable, easy-to-use, and has some features that dog owners would find useful.
Here is a comparison chart for all outdoor ultrasonic dog bark controllers on this list:
*Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Why Dogs Bark?
Barking is normal behavior for dogs, it’s one type of vocal communication that dogs use to inform or alert other dogs or their human owners. Dogs bark for different reasons, for instance, your dog may bark to greet you and ask you to play with him, or he may bark because he hears a knock at the front door. So to some extent, barking is tolerable because it might alert you to the presence of an intruder in your home.
However, sometimes dog barking can get out of hand and become downright annoying.
What Causes Dogs to Bark Excessively?
There are a number of reasons that cause dogs to bark excessively. They may bark excessively when they feel bored/ lonely, to get your attention, when they have a separation anxiety problem, or when they feel pain. It’s important to identify the underlying causes and triggers for excessive barking to decide the right method to treat it.
How Can Ultrasonic Bark Control Help Control Your Dog’s Barking?
For most parts, the cause of excessive barking can be summed up, because your dog is not fully or properly training to bark less. Getting your dog to bark less will take time and practice. You may want to check my article here: How to Stop My German Shepherd Barking Other Dogs, where I shared one simple training technique to make your dog bark less.
Together with proper training techniques, a barking control device can help speed up the training process and help curb the excessive barking habit almost immediately after you use it.
There are different types of barking control devices: they are bark collar control device, spray, and ultrasonic bark control device.
1. Bark collar control device. This collar uses a small jolt of electric shock to warn your dog if he barks too loud. The electric shock can range from a mild tickling to a painful shock. Even though the electric shock is considered safe but this collar can make your dog becomes aggressive and destructive if you abuse or misuse it, making this device the least humane and the most controversial anti-barking device to use. I wouldn’t warn you against using this type of collar.
2. Anti Bark Spray Device. This device uses a sound sensor to detect your dog’s bark and will spray a harmless burst of citronella infused water into dogs’ faces to deter unwanted barking. This anti-bark spray device is a lot safer and humane compared with an anti-bark collar.
3. Ultrasonic Bark Control Device. This device emits a high-pitched ultrasonic sound when the sensor detects the dogs’ bark which is unpleasant to dogs’ ears to stop barking. The ultrasonic frequency itself is set to a safe limit so you don’t need to worry the sound will harm your dog. This ultrasonic bark control device is the most popular anti-barking device that people use today since it promises an instant, quick short-term solution to stop dog barking temporarily.
The Problem with Anti-Barking Devices
Anti-barking devices work great to provide instant, quick short-term relief to your dog’s barking problem. However, these tools won’t help you to curb excessive barking behavior since they don’t address the root cause of the barking problem. Furthermore, some dogs can react differently, for example, an elderly dog with diminished hearing may not be affected enough by ultrasonic sound.
The only way to solve your dog’s excessive barking behavior once and for all is to find the root issue first. Consult with your vet if necessary to rule any psychological and medical issue that your dog may have. Then you can decide the best training method to use to treat the excessive barking and use anti-barking devices as a tool to aid you.
Different Types of Ultrasonic Barking Control Devices
1. Outdoor Ultrasonic Bark Control Devices
This a type of ultrasonic barking control that we’re going to review. As you may have guessed from the birdhouse-like design, these outdoor ultrasonic bark control devices are used to target a neighboring dog with an excessive barking problem. Disguised as a birdhouse, your neighbor won’t even realize you use this device to control their dog’s barking.
2. Handheld Ultrasonic Bark Control Devices
This handheld ultrasonic anti-bark device can be used to train your own dog or to control other dogs. It is very small and lightweight, you can carry it around in your pocket when you’re out walking or cycling.
3. Ultrasonic Bark Control Collar
Ultrasonic bark control collar is an enhanced modification from the old shock collar and a great alternative to spray collar. This collar looks like a regular collar but with a small battery-operated box attached to it. This small box detects your dog’s barking and emits an ultrasonic sound that distracts your dog to stop barking.
4. Indoor Ultrasonic Bark Control Devices
An indoor ultrasonic bark control device is a tabletop device used indoor to stop your dog’s barking. The device works in the same way as the other types of ultrasonic control devices that we’ve been discussed above. There is a microphone inside the device to detect all kind of barks, once the microphone picks up the dog’s bark, the device then will emit an ultrasonic sound to startle the dog and stop the barking.
The Best Outdoor Ultrasonic Dog Bark Control
1. Modus Anti Barking Device
- IMPROVE THE EFFICIENCY OF TRAINING DOG - The ultrasonic anti barking device combines dog training and bark control. The ultrasonic anti barking device can effectively trains your dogs to stop unwanted behaviors, barking, digging, eat something dirty or fight
- SUITABLE FOR ALL SIZE DOGS – Average human hearing frequency range is 20HZ~20KHZ, and the dog can hear a wider range from 15HZ to 120KHZ. MODUS ultrasonic bark control emits ultrasonic sound at 25KHZ, so the sound doesn’t affect anyone
The Modus Anti Barking Device is my top pick for the best ultrasonic dog bark control for 2020. In addition to helping stop the incessant barking, you can also use this device as a training tool to improve your dog’s behavior.
The device fits conveniently in your hand and comes with a hand wrist strap. Another nice feature is that when activated, the device emits a short beep and flashes a green light to confirm that it is working.
It easy to use. You just need to press the “on” button whenever your dog starts barking and pair it with words, hand commands, and positive response. It has a control range of 16.4 ft and powered by 4 AAA batteries (included).
If you’re interested in purchasing the Modus Anti Barking Device, click here.
2. DOGTEX Sonic Birdhouse Bark Control
- 3 built-in bark sensors and 1 XL ultrasonic loudspeaker
- 4 sensitivity settings to indicate what barking level activates the unit
The Sonic Birdhouse Bark Control is probably the most popular outdoor bark control device in the market today. The first thing that piqued my interest when I saw this device was the design. I think it has the best-looking design compared with most other units.
The device has one XL ultrasonic loudspeaker with three built-in sensors to detect 360-degree barks, and 4 sensitivity settings to choose from which can detect dog barking up to 50 ft distance.
The control unit is operated with 6 standard AA batteries, not included in the kit, but you can get them at Amazon or from the store. In standby mode, the batteries can last for several weeks long. It is waterproof so you can confidently place it outside, though it is still recommended to place it under an eave or sheltered roof.
Overall, this device does work to deter dog barking, on average, it takes 10-12 days for the device to work. However, there is an issue with the durability of the product. Some dog owners reported that their DOGTEX bark control units were not as durable as they would expect it to be.
To take a look or buy the DOGTEX Sonic Birdhouse Bark Control, click here.
3. Petsafe Ultrasonic Outdoor Bark Control
- Outdoor ultrasonic bark control birdhouse. Length: 4 1/2", Width: 3 5/8", Height: 7".
- For outdoor use only. Weatherproof. Range up to 50 feet.
The Petsafe Ultrasonic Outdoor Bark Control is another well-known cute-looking outdoor bark control. It has three sensitivity settings to choose from which can detect bark from 50 ft away.
The device is operated with standard 9-volt batteries (not included in the kit) with two colors LED good/low battery indicator. The device has an inbuilt timer you can program to set the unit on and off at certain times, for instance, if you just want to activate the device at night. This feature is useful to preserve battery life.
It has a size of 4 1/2″ length, 3 5/8″ width, and 7″ height, you can easily place it anywhere outside, near a tree or under a roof. The company clearly states that this unit is for outdoor use only.
As with any other outdoor bark control devices, I will recommend to use them for outdoor use only, though some companies might state their products can be used indoor as well. The reason is that the ultrasonic frequency of these outdoor bark control units can be too much for your dog.
Some dog owners reported different results from this unit. Some said the device worked well to deter their dog barking, others said it didn’t work at all. There are so many factors that can affect the outcome of the device. For instance, some dogs may respond differently to the high-pitched sounds due to age and hearing quality. Environmental factors such as the amount of rain, or trees and foliage may also hamper the performance of the device as well.
The only way to get a maximum result from this outdoor bark control unit is to experiment with it yourself. Try to find the best place where there are the least minimal obstacles (sheltered roof, not many trees, and the close distance between your house and the targeted dog).
If you’re interested in this outdoor bark controller, click here.
4. Instecho Ultrasonic Outdoor Bark Control
The Instecho Dog Bark Control is another great ultrasonic outdoor dog bark controller. It features an adjustable ultrasonic level control.
Some dogs might react differently and become scared to go outside if the volume level is too high. With this adjustable ultrasonic level control, you can adjust the volume depending on your dog’s reaction.
It has a microphone sensor that can detect a dog bark sound at up 50 feet away. It is also durable and weatherproof. Some dog owners reported they had used it for more than 9 months without any problems at all. There is also a hanging rope included that you can use to hang/mount the device on a tree, wall or fence.
To purchase, or see more, click here.
5. PETSONIK Ultrasonic Outdoor Dog Bark Control
- FINALLY QUIET YOUR NEIGHBOR'S DOG _____ This dog bark control was built with the highest level of QUALITY to ensure long term use; It is WATERPROOF and durable so it can withstand any weather conditions; making it an excellent outdoor bark control for dogs; This version is light weight and was designed super cute and adorable for outdoor decor; Although this outdoor bark deterrent may be used indoors as well - it is NOT recommended
- ENJOY THE CALM AND TRANQUIL ENVIRONMENT YOU DESERVE _____ Our Dog Bark Deterrent will stop dog barking and give you the piece of mind you deserve; When the microphone sensor picks up a bark it is activated automatic - and will emit an ultrasonic sound to silence the pup; Find out just how quick this machine works; Simply turn it on and wallah; the excessive dog barking stops immediately; Works on most size dogs
The PETSONIK Ultrasonic Outdoor Dog Bark Control is the last model that we’re going to review here. It has a sensitive microphone that can pick up dog barking sound from 50 ft away. It is operated by a standard 9-volt alkaline battery with two different colors LED indicators showing the operation of the battery. It has pretty much the same features as the other ultrasonic outdoor bark control devices that we’ve reviewed above.
However, there seemed to be an issue with the battery unit as the battery dried up quickly. Some dog owners reported the battery died within 2 to 3 weeks. Also, the ultrasonic sound didn’t work as well as they hoped to deter the dogs’ barks.
If you’re interested in purchasing the PETSONIK, you can click here.