After reviewing 15 different outdoor ultrasonic bark controls, I think KCSC Bark Control Device is the best outdoor ultrasonic dog bark control to stop excessive dog barking.
With 4 adjustable ultrasonic volume levels and 3 sensitivity settings to choose from, you can put a stop to your neighbor’s dog barking problems once and for all. You can find a more detailed review about KCSC Bark Control Device below. But first, some brief info about barking control devices.
*Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Why Dogs Bark?
Barking is a normal behavior for dogs, it’s one type of vocal communication that dogs use to inform or alert other dogs or their human owners. Dogs bark for different reasons, for instance, your dog may bark to greet you and ask you to play with him, or he may bark because he hears a knock at the front door. So to some extents, barking is tolerable because it might alert you to the presence of an intruder in your home.
However, sometimes dog barking can get out of hand and become downright annoying.
What Causes Dogs to Bark Excessively?
There are numbers of reasons that cause dogs to bark excessively. They may bark excessively when they feel bored/ lonely, to get your attention, when they have a separation anxiety problem, or when they feel pain. It’s important to identify the underlying causes and trigger for the excessive barking to decide the right method to treat it.
How Can Ultrasonic Bark Control Help Control Your Dog’s Barking?
For the most parts, the cause of excessive barking can be summed up, because your dog is not fully or properly training to bark less. Getting your dog to bark less will take time and practice. You may want to check my article here: How to Stop My German Shepherd Barking Other Dogs, where I shared one simple training technique to make your dog bark less.
Together with proper training technique, a barking control device can help speed up the training process and help curb the excessive barking habit almost immediately after you use it.
There are different types of barking control devices: they are bark collar control device, spray, and ultrasonic bark control device.
1. Bark collar control device. This collar uses a small jolt of electric shock to warn your dog if he barks too loud. The electric shock can range from a mild tickling to a painful shock. Even though the electric shock is considered safe but this collar can make your dog becomes aggressive and destructive if you abuse or misuse it, making this device the least humane and the most controversial anti-barking device to use. I wouldn’t warn you against using this type of collar.
2. Anti Bark Spray Device. This device uses a sound sensor to detect your dog’s bark and will spray a harmless burst of citronella infused water into dogs’ face to deter unwanted barking. This anti-bark spray device is a lot safer and humane compared with an anti-bark collar.
3. Ultrasonic Bark Control Device. This device emits a high-pitched ultrasonic sound when the sensor detects the dogs’ bark which is unpleasant to dogs ears to stop barking. The ultrasonic frequency itself is set to a safe limit so you don’t need to worry the sound will harm your dog. This ultrasonic bark control device is the most popular anti-barking device that people use today since it promises an instant, quick short-term solution to stop dog barking temporarily.
The Problem with Anti-Barking Devices
Anti-barking devices work great to provide an instant, quick short-term relieve to your dog’s barking problem. However, these tools won’t help you to curb excessive barking behavior since they don’t address the root cause of the barking problem. Furthermore, some dogs can react differently, for example, an elderly dog with diminished hearing may not be affected enough by ultrasonic sound.
The only way to solve your dog’s excessive barking behavior once and for all is to find the root issue first. Consult with your vet if necessary to rule any psychological and medical issue that your dog may have. Then you can decide the best training method to use to treat the excessive barking and use anti-barking devices as a tool to aid you.
Different Types of Ultrasonic Barking Control Devices
1. Outdoor Ultrasonic Bark Control Devices
This a type of ultrasonic barking control that we’re going to review. As you may have guessed from the birdhouse-like design, these outdoor ultrasonic bark control devices are used to target a neighboring dog with an excessive barking problem. Disguised as a birdhouse, your neighbor won’t even realize you use this device to control their dog’s barking.
2. Handheld Ultrasonic Bark Control Devices
This handheld ultrasonic anti-bark device can be used to train your own dog or to control other dogs. It is very small and lightweight, you can carry it around in your pocket when you’re out walking or cycling.
3. Ultrasonic Bark Control Collar
Ultrasonic bark control collar is an enhanced modification from the old shock collar and a great alternative to spray collar. This collar looks like a regular collar but with a small battery-operated box attached to it. This small box detects your dog’s barking and emits an ultrasonic sound that distracts your dog to stop barking.
4. Indoor Ultrasonic Bark Control Devices
Indoor ultrasonic bark control device is a tabletop device used indoor to stop your dog’s barking. The device works in the same way as the other types of ultrasonic control devices that we’ve been discussed above. There is a microphone inside the device to detect all kind of barks, once the microphone picks up the dog’s bark, the device then will emit an ultrasonic sound to startle the dog and stop the barking.
The Best Outdoor Ultrasonic Dog Bark Control
1. KCSC Bark Control Device
- 【NEW TECH】: Stop excessive, noisy dog barking by emitting an ultrasonic sound to silence the dog. More effective than old version deterrents and waterproof.
- 【HIGHLY FUNCTION】: Contain sensitive microphone isolates and picks up barking up to 50 feet away to stop barking both outdoors and indoors (recommended starting mode for indoors is level 1, increase if needed). NOTE: Does not work on deaf or hearing impaired dogs.
KCSC bark control device is my top pick for the best birdhouse ultrasonic bark control. The company states that you can use this device indoor as well if you want to.
I tested it on my neighbor’s dog which he brought several months ago. From the first time the dog arrived, he kept barking day and night. The constant barking was becoming an ongoing nuisance, it disrupted my sleep and ruined my time in the yard. When I talked about it with my neighbor, he told me he took the dog from the street.
If you want to take a dog, you should take one from a reputable breeder. If you take it from a street there’s a chance you’ll get a loud one. House training this type of dog will take months, meanwhile, I can’t stand his constant yapping anymore. Finally, after reading many reviews and talking to other dogs’ owners, I decided to bring KCSC bark control, it took about 3 days and my neighbor’s dog quit barking all the time.
The device has four adjustable ultrasonic volume levels to choose from – test, low, medium, and high. There are also 3 sensitivity settings to choose from to indicate what barking level activates the unit which covers a range up to 50 ft. For indoor usage, the lowest setting is enough because the higher setting can be too sensitive. For outdoor use, you need to consider the distance between your home and your neighbor’s house, and environmental factors such as rain and wind.
Talking about rain, this model is waterproof so you can safely leave it outside when it rains. However, I’m not sure on the amount of rain the tool could tolerate therefore, it’s better to place it under an eave or a sheltered roof to keep it last. Many dog owners placed these birdhouse ultrasonic bark control device outsides without protection and they wondered why the devices only lasted for a week. Just because it is waterproof that doesn’t mean you don’t need to take care of it.
KCSC bark control is operated with a standard 9-volt battery with LED battery power level indicator. When the battery is low, the indicator will show signs. The device is backed by a lifetime warranty, you can ask the customer service anytime for a refund if the device doesn’t work out for you.
2. DOGTEX Sonic Birdhouse Bark Control
- 3 built-in bark sensors and 1 XL ultrasonic loudspeaker
- 4 sensitivity settings to indicate what barking level activates the unit
DOGTEX Sonic Birdhouse Bark Control is probably the most popular outdoor bark control device in the market today. The first thing that piqued my interest when I saw this device was the design. I think it has the best-looking design compared with most other units.
The device has one XL ultrasonic loudspeaker with three built-in sensors to detect 360-degree barks, and 4 sensitivity settings to choose from which can detect dog barking up to 50 ft distance.
The control unit is operated with 6 standard AA batteries, not included in the kit, but you can get them at Amazon or from the store. In standby mode, the batteries can last for several weeks long. It is waterproof so you can confidently place it outside, though it is still recommended to place it under an eave or sheltered roof.
Overall, this device does work to deter dog barking, on average, it takes 10-12 days for the device to work. However, there is an issue with the durability of the product. Some dogs owners reported that their DOGTEX bark control units were not as durable as they would expect it to be. Furthermore, there’s no warranty backed up this device, so I will still recommend the KCSC bark control unit over this unit.
3. Petsafe Ultrasonic Outdoor Bark Control
- Outdoor ultrasonic bark control birdhouse. Length: 4 1/2", Width: 3 5/8", Height: 7".
- For outdoor use only. Weatherproof. Range up to 50 feet.
Petsafe Ultrasonic Outdoor Bark Control is another well-known cute-looking outdoor bark control. It has three sensitivity settings to choose from which can detect bark from 50 ft away.
The device is operated with standard 9-volt batteries (not included in the kit) with two colors LED good/low battery indicator. The device has an inbuilt timer you can program to set the unit on and off at certain times, for instance, if you just want to activate the device at night. This feature is useful to preserve battery life.
It has a size of 4 1/2″ length, 3 5/8″ width, and 7″ height, you can easily place it anywhere outside, near a tree or under a roof. The company clearly states that this unit is for outdoor use only.
As with any other outdoor bark control devices, I will recommend to use them for outdoor use only, though some companies might state their products can be used indoor as well. The reason is that the ultrasonic frequency of these outdoor bark control units can be too much for your dog if you use it indoors, especially, if the devices don’t have a feature to control the ultrasonic volume level like the one you can find in KCSC bark control unit.
Some dogs owners reported different results from this unit. Some said the device worked well to deter their dog barking, others said didn’t work at all. There are so many factors that can affect the outcome of the device. For instance, some dogs may respond differently to the high-pitched sounds due to age and hearing quality. Environmental factors such as the amount of rain, or trees and foliage may also hamper the performance of the device as well.
The only way to get a maximum result from this outdoor bark control unit is to experiment it yourself. Try to find the best place where there are the least minimal obstacles (sheltered roof, not many trees, and the close distance between your house and the targeted dog).
4. Instecho Ultrasonic Outdoor Bark Control
Instecho Dog Bark Control is a great alternative to choose from if you can’t find the KCSC bark control model. Similar to KCSC bark control unit, it has an adjustable ultrasonic volume level control, which in my view is an important feature to look for before buying any outdoor bark control models.
Some dogs might react differently and become scared to go outside altogether if the volume level is too high. With this adjustable ultrasonic level control, you can adjust the volume depending on the dog’s reaction.
It has a microphone sensor that can detect a dog bark sound at up 50 feet away. It is also durable and weatherproof. Some dog owners reported they had used it for more than 9 months without any problems at all. There is also a hanging rope included that you can use to hang/mount the device on a tree, wall or fence.
5. PETSONIK Ultrasonic Outdoor Dog Bark Control
- FINALLY QUIET YOUR NEIGHBOR'S DOG; This dog bark control was built with the highest level of quality to ensure long term use; It is waterproof and durable so it can withstand any weather conditions; making it an excellent outdoor bark control for dogs; This version is light weight and was designed super cute and adorable for outdoor decor; Although it may be used indoors as well - it isn't recommended
- ENJOY THE CALM AND TRANQUIL ENVIRONMENT YOU DESERVE; Our Dog Bark Deterrent will stop dog barking and give you the piece of mind you deserve; When the microphone sensor picks up a bark it is activated automatic - and will emit an ultrasonic sound to silence the pup Find out just how quick this machine works; Simply turn it on and wallah; the excessive dog barking stops immediately; Works on most size dog
PETSONIK Ultrasonic Outdoor Dog Bark Control is the last model that we’re going to review here. It has a sensitive microphone that can pick up dog barking sound from 50 ft away. It is operated by a standard 9-volt alkaline battery with two different colors LED indicators showing the operation of the battery. It has pretty much the same features as the other ultrasonic outdoor bark control devices that we’ve reviewed above.
However, There seemed to be an issue with the battery unit as the battery dried up quickly. Some dogs owners reported the battery died within 2 to 3 weeks. Also, the ultrasonic sound didn’t work as well as they hoped to deter the dogs’ barks.