If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best harness for German Shepherds is, then we recommend the Rabbitgoo Dog Harness as the best one.
A dog harness is a great tool for German Shepherds who pull hard during walks. It gives you better control over your German shepherd and helps reduce pulling and jumping.
A harness also minimizes the risk of injury if your German shepherd has a nose and throat problem like a collapsing trachea. It takes the strain off the neck and distributes all the pulling force evenly from the leash over a large area of your dog’s body.
Below are our top picks for German Shepherd harnesses.
Our Picks for The Best Harnesses for German Shepherds
- Rabbitgoo Dog Harness — Best German Shepherd Harness Overall
- EXPAWLORER Big Dog Harness — Runner Up
- 2 Hounds Design Freedom No-Pull Dog Harness
- RUFFWEAR – Front Range Dog Harness
- RUFFWEAR – Web Master
Best Harness for German Shepherds Reviews
Best German Shepherd Harness Overall
1. Rabbitgoo Dog Harness
Rabbitgoo by far is the best no pull dog harness for German shepherd and for a good reason because of its design and materials and many features worth mentioning.
The Rabbitgoo harness is made from soft, breathable nylon Oxford fabric with extra padding that provides a lot of comfort to your German Shepherd.
It is designed to be hassle-free wear. Putting on the harness is easy in three steps—slide the harness, buckle it up, and adjust the chest strap, and you’re all set.
This GSD harness also comes with a top control handle and two metal leash attachment rings (one on the chest and one on the back). The side straps are fully adjustable, so you can ensure that it fits your German shepherd’s body snugly. The Rabbitgoo is available in four different sizes and six different color options.
- Sturdy and robust construction
- Four adjustable straps for a perfect fit
- Top handle for better control
- Two metal leash rings for added security
- Choice of four sizes and six attractive colors
- A few customers noted sizing concerns, but this is a common problem with just about any harness
2. EXPAWLORER Big Dog Harness
The EXPAWLORER Big Harness is another great GSD harness designed for medium to large-sized dogs
This harness is made from durable, fast-drying, and breathable fabric, lined with neoprene and thick padding for maximum comfort.
Although The EXPAWLORER Big Harness is not a real “no-pull” harness because it does not have a front clip, the design of this harness does help distribute tension along your German shepherd’s body evenly.
It features a tough nylon handle on top along with a fully-welded D-ring that allows for more control of your German shepherd. It is adjustable and easy to get on the dog. Just slip it over your dog’s head and clip the bottom strap, and you’re done. The EXPAWLORER comes in a choice of three sizes and seven different colors.
- Durable and breathable fabric
- Adjustable straps
- Reflective strips for increased visibility
- Safe to hook to the seatbelt in the car
- Double control with rubber handle and metal D-ring
- A few customers suggested that the harness could be made better with a dual clip (one on the front and one on the back)
3. 2 Hound Freedom No Pull Dog Harness
The 2 Hound Harness is a well-made harness that provides multiple ways to stop dogs’ pulling behavior.
This harness is made from a high-quality material with a soft velvet lining on the part that goes under your German shepherd’s front leg area, which helps to avoid chafing.
It features a dual connection leash system. You can attach the leash to the chest loop for loose leash walking, or you can attach the leash to the back for exercise. If you’re interested to learn about leash training, you may want to visit our leash training German shepherds page.
The patented martingale loop on the back allows you to control pulling while allowing your dog to walk without twisting or straining. Dog owners can choose from seven sizes and 18 color options.
- Easy to use
- Easy to adjust
- Multi-functions: for discouraging pulling and exercise
- Velvet padding to prevent chafing
- Lifetime chewing warranty
- A few users found it difficult to adjust to the correct size. But once you have the sizing down, it works great
4. Ruffwear Front Range Dog Harness
The Ruffwear Front Range Harness is a perfect go-to harness for any dog, plus my dog loves the way it fits him.
Ruffwear is made from durable material that dries quickly and doesn’t loosen over time.
Compared to the other harnesses for German shepherds in this list, this harness has a more minimalistic design. It has soft padding around the shoulder and chest area, which makes it more comfortable for your German shepherd to wear for long periods.
The multiple adjustment points, which is the secret to well-fitting harness, allow dog owners to fit the harness snug on their dogs.
Its ease of use is another major point of this harness. To put it on your German shepherd, simply slip it over your dog’s head, and with one sturdy clip, you’re ready to go. In addition, the reflective trim helps to keep your dog stay seen in the dark. This harness comes in five sizes and six colors.
- Easy to put and take off
- Adjustable points for a custom fit
- Reflective stitching on either side
- Padded chest and belly panel for added comfort
- Two leash attachment points: a reinforced loop on the chest and an aluminum V-ring on the back
- A few dog owners expressed disappointment with the front leash attachment. Their dogs twisted themselves almost of out the harnesses when they pulled hard
5. Ruffwear Web Master Multi-Use Harness
The Ruffwear Web Master Harness is a high-quality harness designed for a variety of outdoor sports and activities, including hiking and trail running.
This harness is made from top-notch material that reminds me of heavy-duty backpacking gear. Therefore, you can expect that this harness will last through some heavy use.
This Ruffwear Web Master offers some of the best features you can find on the market. It is anatomically designed for working dogs, service dogs, and adventurous dogs.
And it features padded design for lasting comfort and extra buckles to keep your German shepherd from wriggling out. As for the fit, the harness comes with a five-point adjustment system to fit various sizes of dogs.
The Ruffwear Web Master is available in a choice of five sizes and four different, attractive color patterns: blue dusk, red currant, twilight gray, and twilight grey.
- Heavy-duty construction
- The padded strap helps to keep German shepherd dog comfortable during running or hiking
- Two leash-attachment points, including a metal buckle and a web loop
- A sturdy top handle for steering your dog right by your side
- Reflective trim and safety light loop for high visibility at night
- The adjustment system can be awkward at first. You might need to spend some time adjusting the harness to your dog’s body. But once it’s adjusted, it’s easy to use
Other Dog Harnesses We Reviewed
6. Lifepul No Pull Dog Vest Harness
The Lifepul Dog Vest Harness is the best budget pick among other harnesses in this list.
This German harness vest is made from high-quality and durable materials, including nylon and nickel-plated hardware.
Ergonomically designed, this harness features a quick-release, buckling for easy on/off along with other useful features such as soft padding, a welded D-ring, and a top handle.
The welded D-ring can be used for walking or can be attached to a car’s seat belt. The Lifepul is available in four sizes and two different colors.
- Made with high-quality materials and ergonomic design
- An adjustable strap with a quick-snap buckle
- A welded D-ring on the back
- Soft padding underneath
- A no-pull handle for more control of German shepherd dog
- A few dog owners said that the harness was a bit too bulky for their dogs
7. URPOWER Dog Leash Harness
The URPOWER Dog Leash Harness is a high-quality harness that comes with a matching 4-foot leash.
Both the leash and the harness are made of denim, making the pair truly “chew-proof.” The harness itself is constructed with a dual-layer construction composed of denim and red nylon.
The URPOWER features a chafe-free design to prevent chafing while your dog is wearing the harness. The two adjustable straps help you to get a good fit, while the stainless steel rings allow you to restrain your dog.
If your German Shepherd is a hard puller, you will love this harness. Many dog owners noted that this harness did help reduce their dog’s pulling behavior. The URPOWER comes in a choice of three sizes and three colors.
- Double-layer construction
- Chafe-free design
- Stainless steel rings and leash clip
- Two points of adjustment
- Double clasps to spread the pressure of the leash evenly
- A few owners noted that the sizing was off
8. Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness
If you’re looking for a car harness to keep your German shepherd safe while driving, you should consider the Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness.
Compared to other harnesses on the market, this harness has been successfully crash-tested at the NY crash test facility, which surprisingly most are not. This fact alone is enough to make it the best dog car harness available.
The Kurgo features not only four but five points of adjustments and two leash connection points to provide a perfect fit for dogs of all sizes and breeds. Plus, it comes with a padded chest strap to provide extra protection against a car accident.
This harness includes an extra dog seat belt tether that is compatible with any car seat belt system.
- Crash tested in the USA
- Five points of adjustments for a perfect fit
- Padded chest strap for maximum protection and comfort
- Includes dog tether
- Sturdy but clanky and heavy
- A few dog parents complained that the back strap kept sliding off regardless of how often they tried to adjust the harness
9. Signature K9 Leather Tracking Harness
The Signature K9 Tracking Harness is one of the best harnesses for dogs involved in search and rescue, or compete in tracking sport.
The quality of this tracking harness is so much better than I had expected: all heavy brash hardware, super thick and supple leather, and high-quality fleece-lined material.
It features two leash connection points (one up front and one on the back), strong buckles, adjustable straps, and handle on the back so you can easily control your dog if needed.
- High-quality material
- Two leash connection points
- Adjustable, foam-padded straps
- Made in the USA
- A few pet parents had noticed that the belt loops are cheapened out. They are made of some type of flimsy, cardboard-like, plastic instead of leather
10. ICEFANG Tactical Harness
The ICEFANG Tactical Harness is one of the best all-around military-grade harnesses available.
What makes this harness stands out from the rest is its durable construction. It includes alloy metal buckles that have been successfully tested to hold 1,000 pounds of pressure with box x-stitch at all stress points.
It is very adjustable; you can adjust the straps to fit the different contours of the dogs. Each pad is covered with ventilated mesh so your German shepherd can wear it all day long with no irritation or rubbing. The molle system is well stitched with no loose threads and can hold a fair amount of gear.
If you prefer, you can also use the D-shaped carabiners (not included) to attach your dog bowl, water bottle, and toys.
- Sturdy construction
- Very adjustable
- Two leash connection points (on the front and the back)
- Padded panel with ventilated mesh
- A few dog owners said that the back of the harness near the nape of the neck is too stiff, which makes the fit awkward
Why Should You Use a Harness for Your German Shepherds?
A harness is better suited for large dogs like German shepherds who are more prone to joint issues. There are at least two primary benefits of using a harness instead of a collar for your German shepherd.
First, a harness disperses the dog’s pulling force evenly over a large area of your dog’s body, particularly across your dog’s shoulders, chest, and hips. This is different than a collar that puts all the pulling pressure on your dog’s neck or head, straining his muscles or joints.
The second benefit is that the harness gives you much better control when your dog pulls hard even if your dog’s leash manners are not quite perfected and is also easier on your arms and back.
Types of Dog Harnesses
Dog harnesses come in several different types, depending on the purpose and use of the harness.
A No-Pull harness is a harness constructed with straps around the dog’s chest, torso, and neck. In this type of harness, the leash is attached to the front so that if your dog pulls, the leash gives a tugging effect to turn him to the side rather than allowing him to dive on ahead.
A padded harness has soft padding on the chest and back areas that give your dog comfort and stability. This feature is excellent for deep-chested big dogs like German shepherds and boxers.
A car harness acts as a seatbelt for your dog. It is designed to protect your dog from the impact of a crash when an accident occurs. Also, this harness keeps your dog from roaming the car too much, distracting the driver and increasing the risk of an accident.
A tactical harness is a multi-functional harness that allows dogs to carry some loads on their bodies. This harness is perfect for service dogs who need to carry medicine, water, and other emergency items. This harness is quite easy to notice; you might have seen it before. It often has a military design and tactical aesthetic with a sign that reads: “Service Dog Do Not Pet.”
A tracking harness is designed to ensure that a dog’s movements are not restricted and to let the dog breathe normally while following a ground scent. This harness is often used for dogs doing search and rescue missions.
A reflective harness has a strip of reflective material sewn in to keep your dog visible at night or in low light conditions. This feature is especially important if you plan to walk at night with your dog.
Best Harness for German Shepherds Buying Guide
Some harnesses are undoubtedly better suited for German Shepherds than others are. Here are some of the things you will want to consider when selecting a harness for your German Shepherd:
Dog harnesses come in a number of different styles. Let’s take a look at each one:
1. Back-Clip Harness
Back-clip harness has a clip on the back to attach or detach the leash. For dogs that have tracheal problems, the back clip could be a good option. This harness is also ideal for dogs who have mastered the art of walking on a loose leash.
2. Font-Clip Harness
Harness that clips on the front is best for dogs who need to learn leash training. It gives you better control over your dog’s direction and helps reduce pulling. It could, however, choke your dog as it can put too much pressure on the throat. A dog wearing a front clip harness is also more likely to get the leash tangled between his legs.
3. Dual-Clip Harness
A dual-clip harness is a harness that most dog owners prefer the most because it provides the best of both front and back-clip harness. You can clip the leash to your dog’s chest for exercise or back for a comfortable walk.
The harness that you purchase should fit your dog snugly but comfortably. Be sure to check the manufacturer’s sizing guide to get the best fit for your dog.
Ideal German shepherd harnesses should have adjusting points on many areas to provide the flexibility you need to fit your German Shepherd.
You always want to make sure the harness you pick is comfortable to wear. You can do that by avoiding any harness that digs into your dog’s skin and by choosing a harness that provides ample padding in the belly and chest area.
Reflective patches or stitching is another useful feature that makes your dog more visible in low light condition. This is especially important if you plan to take a walk at night with your dog. A reflective harness can help you keep track of your dog if he happens to leave your side.
How to Measure German Shepherd Girth for Harness
Here’s a short-video from Kurgo that will show you how to measure your German shepherd’s chest, neck, and weight:
1. Is a harness or collar better for a German shepherd? If your GSD is a hard puller, harness is a better option for him as it won’t damage his trachea.
2. What is the best harness for a German shepherd puppy? Rabbitgoo Dog Harness is an excellent choice for both adult German shepherds and puppies.
3. What is the average size of a German shepherd’s neck? The average size of a German shepherd’s neck is around 18-24″.
4. Are harnesses good for German shepherds? Harnesses are a better option for German shepherd dogs. You can use harness to train your dog to stop pulling, and it’s a lot safer for your dog’s health.