Trimming your dog’s nail short is important for their health though your dog may not like it. But who can blame them? You will hate it too when you have a few bad experiences getting your nail cuts too short and bleeding.
For regular dog owners, while traditional dog nail clippers can get the job done, it can be tricky to use. Sometimes, dog nail clippers can injure your dog’s nails or cause pain. A better alternative is to use dog nail grinders.
Today, we’ll be detailing the best dog nail grinders, the benefits, and what you should consider before buying one.
Top 10 Best Dog Nail Grinders of 2020
1. Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Dog Nail Grooming & Grinding Tool
- PET NAIL GROOMER AND GRINDER - This rotary tool is a pet nail groomer and grinder that offers a safe, effective, less stressful alternative to using clippers on your dogs nails. Material: High Density Plastic. Battery Chemistry: Nickel-Cadmium (NiCd).
- VARIABLE SPEED - Two rotation speeds let you safely and carefully grind the nails of your dog or pet in stages. Battery-powered device uses a 60-grit sanding drum to comfortably trim nails in a manner that is designed to be harmless and humane.
This Dremel Dog Nail Grinding Tool, in my opinion, is the best dog nail grinder in the market. A well-known Dremel company makes it.
This dog nail grinder has two different rotation speed settings (6,500 and 13,000 rpm) that make grinding your dog’s nails safer and faster.
You can use the fast option to trim the thickest, toughest nails while the slow option can be used to trim the smallest nails.
A 4.8-volt rechargeable battery powers the Dremel. The battery can be fully charged in 3 hours, and it’s cordless so that you can grind your dog’s nails anywhere, indoors or outdoors.
For sanding purposes, it uses a 60-grit sanding drum and grit bands. The grit bands are available in several degrees of coarseness.
There are 6 sanding drums along with a wrench tool to replace the head included in the package.
Most dog owners are quite impressed with how easy and fast this tool is to use. A few users warned not to spend more than 5 seconds per nail; otherwise, the nail grinder gets hot and can irritate your dog.
If you’re interested in purchasing the Dremel Dog Nail Grooming and Grinding Tool, click here.
2. Hertzko Electronic Pet Nail Grinder
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE - Our Grinder is manufactured with Diamond Bit Grinder, which is safer and more effective than nail clipper to trim pet nails, reducing the risk of clipping the claws too short or hurt your pet.
- THREE SIZE PORTS - There are THREE SIZE OPENINGS in the grinder area; you can use depending on your pet’s nail size. The SMALL and MEDIUM OPENINGS are for small and medium sized pets. For larger pets, the ENTIRE COVER CAN BE REMOVED TO EXPOSE THE ENTIRE BIT to easily trim large nails
The Hertzko Electronic Pet Nail Grinder is a small, lightweight, and portable claw trimmer with an array of features that make it a runner-up in our list of the best dog nail grinder.
This grinder features a diamond bit grinder that delivers effective, safe grinding to trim your dog’s nails. There are three size ports to choose from, depending on your dog’s size: small, medium, and large. You can also remove the cover and use the entire sanding bit to do the trimming.
The grinding motor is designed to run low-noise and low-vibration to keep your dog calm and relaxed. The battery is rechargeable and is included with a USB wire.
Most users loved the fact that this grinder uses a grinding stone instead of sandpaper discs. A few users also used this tool without the guide hole to make clean-up easier.
If you’re interested in more information about this pet nail grinder, you can find it here.
3. RUCACIO Dog Nail Grinder
- Painless Paw Smoothing&Top Quality: Compared with manual clipper, our electric pet nail grinder will avoid over-cutting, hurting your pets. Our professional dog nail grinder is super easy to use which will allow you to take care of your pet right at home. Our dog nail grinder is improved with diamond bit grinder, which is safer and more effective. Specially with safe guard cap No more worries about over-cutting, nasty pains or bleeding.
- 1 Kit Fits All Size: We designed 3 parts, part 1 is for small pets, part 2 is for medium pets, part 3 is for quick manicure. Please kindly note : If you want to grind your pet's nail quickly, please take off the grinder cover before use it.
The RUCACIO Dog Nail Grinder is a powerful, diamond-bit nail grinder with a removable guard on top to help you avoid grinding into your dog’s quick.
The grinder consists of three parts: part one is for small-sized dogs, part two is for medium-sized dogs, and part three is for a quick manicure. You can also remove the cover entirely if you want.
If your dog is sensitive to loud noises, you’ll be surprised at how quiet this grinder is as it produces less than 50 dB sound during the grinding. When it runs down, you can conveniently recharge the grinder by plugging it into a USB port on your computer, a power bank, or a wall socket.
Most users said the RUCACIO Dog Nail Grinder is very quiet compared to the other grinders that they have, making it an ideal choice for skittish dogs. They also liked how comfortable this grinder is to hold.
To purchase or read more info, click here.
4. Ruff’ n Ruffus Dog Nail Grinder
- TRIM WITH EASE No more fear. No more anxiousness. Unlike other pet nail grinders that produce a loud, terrifying sound, we’ve fitted ours with a motor that creates 40% less noise. The result? Your four-legged pal stays perfectly calm as you groom their claws to perfection.
- 3 BONUS ACCESSORIES Get must-have cat and dog grooming accessories without having to pay extra. Every electric nail file comes with a bonus diamond grinding wheel worth $5, trimming shears worth $10, and a large silk storage pouch. This means savings of $15.
This Ruff’ n Ruffus Dog Nail Grinder is another great option for dogs who are sensitive to loud noises. It features a motor that is equipped with a brass spindle to deliver smooth and quiet operation.
This grinder has two-speed settings and two-sided protective cover: one side is designed for little nails, and another side is for medium nails.
Plus, the Ruff’ n Ruffus comes with three extra bonuses: a diamond grinding wheel, trimming shears, and a large silk storage pouch.
Most dog owners find this grinder easy to use, has a good quality, and fast. However, a few big-dogs owners find this grinder doesn’t work for them.
If you’re interested in purchasing the Ruff’ n Ruffus, you can click here.
5. I-Pure Dog Nail Grinder
- 【2020 UPGRADED DESIGN,MORE POWERFUL THAN OTHERS】Our dog nail grinder adopt the upgrade motor with high quality brass shaft,have much power and long service life than other nail grinder.Designed with high speed RMP so that you can finish grinding quickly and pets or cats can get freedom faster.
- 【SUITABLE FOR ALL PETS WITH 3 SIZE PORTS】The dog nail trimmer has 3 size ports with 2 speed,which is suitable for all kinds of pets.You can adjust an appropriate model to trim your pets' nail according to their size.Get our pet nail grinder,will help you to save more money to trim pet's nail at home.
The 2019 edition of the I-Pure Dog Nail Grinder is enhanced with an upgraded motor and a high-quality brass shaft, which provides more power and longer life than many dog nail grinders.
Not only this grinder has high-speed RPM, but it also runs very quietly in addition to three different sized ports and two speeds to suit dogs of all sizes.
This grinder is cordless and powered by a rechargeable battery, so there’s less chance of your dog getting tangled in cords.
Most users are quite happy about the price and quality of the I-Pure Dog Nail Grinder. They said, “it’s quiet and very ergonomic in your hand.”
You can find this dog nail grinder on Amazon’s website here.
6. Oster Gentle Paws Dog Nail Grinder
- Designed for pets: whisper-quiet rotary tool for stress-free pet nail trimming
- Adjustable safety guard helps ensure you don't trim too far and captures filings for less mess
The Oster Gentle Paws Dog Nail Grinder is one of the most popular two-speed pet nail grinders.
It comes with four different band attachments and an adjustable safety guard. These two features will keep you from trimming your dog’s nails too far back.
The four bands include a coarse stone, a fine band, and two coarse bands, which give you plenty of different grinding options.
Most users found it more versatile and cheaper than the Dremel model, making it an excellent option to consider for small-dogs owners.
If you’re interested in finding more information about this pet nail grinder, you can find it on Amazon here.
7. URPOWER Rechargeable Pet Nail Grinder
- Upgraded version - Designed to be rechargeable by USB with indicator light make it more convenient and free you from changing batteries that often. Once being fully charged, the grinder will be well-performed over 3 hours in continously work.
- Diamond grinding stone - Constructed with diamond bit grinder which is safer and more effective than nail clipper to trim pet nails, no replacements needed and powerful enough to trim your pets' nail in a short time.
If you’re looking for a nail grinder for cats and small to medium-sized dogs, this URPOWER Rechargeable Pet Nail Grinder could be one of the best options for you. Quiet and powerful, this dog nail grinder comes with a range of features.
Some features worth talking about include:
If you’re interested, you can click here to get more info or to purchase.
8. Furminator Nail Grinder for Dogs
- High performance, yet lightweight
- Tool design ensures nail trimming is safe, efficient, and painless
Made by the famous Furminator company, this Furminator Nail Grinder for Dogs is one of the best budget options in the market today. At such a low cost, this grinder has the same features that are available in more premium models, such as a 2-speed design, and a clear nail guard.
Moreover, this tool features a LED light at the tip of it to give you a clearer look at your dog’s nails while grinding.
Click here to see the Furminator Dog Nail Grinder.
9. Conair Pro Pet Dog Nail Grinder
- For all size dogs - Small, Medium or Large Nail Sizes
- Animal Friendly - Quiet, Friendly, Ergonomic and Compact Design
The Conair Pro Pet Dog Nail Grinder is sold as being friendly, ergonomic, and compact. This grinder is powered by corded AC power for long grinding sessions, which can be quiet handy if you have many dogs, or run dog grooming business.
Many users found this tool very easy to use. However, in spite of the manufacturer’s claim, many users said that this grinder was very loud and scared their dogs away.
If you are interested, you can find this dog nail grinder on Amazon here.
10. Pecute Dog Nail Grinder for Small and Medium Dogs
- 【1 hour quick charge & 4 hours work life】 - Pecute Pet Nail Grinder adopted advanced 600Ma Lithium battery which supports 1 hour fast charging and 240 minutes long working time, USB portable cable with over-charge protection.
- 【Safe & effective 2 Speed nail Grinder】 - Pecute Dog nail Grinder adopted especially thick Diamond grindstone cut head and 2 speeds design: 6000 RPM for trimming accurately, 6800 RPM for quickly Grinding, which is safer, faster and more effective than dog nail clipper when trim pet nails, can reduce the risk of over cutting and hurting your pet.
Featuring two different speed settings at 6,000 RPM and 6,800 RPM, the Pecute Dog Nail Grinder is another great option for grinding small or medium dogs. This device is powered by a lithium battery that charges in one hour.
And you can charge this grinder easily via the USB cord. Once it is fully charged, you can carry out the grinding for 240 minutes.
On the drawback, nonetheless, this grinder is not strong enough for very thick nails. If you have large dogs, you may want to consider checking out its cousin version, “the Pecute Large Dog Nail Grinder.”
To take a look, or buy the Pecute Dog Nail Grinder, click here.
What is a Dog Nail Grinder?
A dog nail grinder is a grooming device that uses a high-speed, rounded grinder attached to it to grinds and shapes your dog’s nails.
This tool is a great alternative nail-cutting solution if you or your dog are nervous about using dog clippers. In so many ways, the dog nail grinder is a much better choice than the traditional dog nail clipper.
The biggest difference between the two is that a dog nail grinder is easier and safer to use. You might be more familiar with dog nail clippers, but these tools are not always safe.
Let’s take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of using a dog nail grinder as opposed to a nail clipper.
Advantages of Using Dog Nail Grinders
Lower Chance of Cutting the Quick. When using a nail clipper, your hand needs to be steady, and you need to aim correctly; otherwise, you could cut the quick, and the nail will start to bleed. This can be difficult if you have a nervous dog or dog with dark-colored nails.
On the other hand, with a dog nail grinder, you will still need to hold your dog still, but you won’t need to be as precise with your aiming as you can trim the nails bit by bit and will be able to see if you’re coming too close to the quick.
Reduces The Chance of Pinching or Cracking. Nail clippers can put a great amount of pressure on your dog’s nails and end up cracking or breaking them.
Dog nail grinders do not pinch the quick, which means there is less chance of the nails cracking or breaking on impact or under pressure.
Get a Rounded Tip. A nail grinder allows you to shape the edge of your dog’s nails, creating a smooth, rounded finish that looks nicer and won’t catch on furniture or other items around the house.
Disadvantages of Dog Nail Grinders
It Might Make Your Dog Afraid. The loud noise and high vibration of the dog nail grinder can startle and scare your dog, though the noise and vibration level vary between different brands and models.
You Can Still Accidentally Hit the Quick. Even with a dog nail grinder, if you’re not careful, you can still accidentally grind into your dog’s quick.
Odor, Dust, and Heat. Unwanted odor and dust can come out of grinding your dog’s nails.
The speed and coarseness of the nail grinder will determine how much dust is produced. While for the odor, there is no way to avoid the smell of grinding your dog’s nails.
For this very reason, I would recommend grinding your dog’s nails outside wearing eye gear or a mouth cover. As for the heat, make sure not to hold the grinder in any nails for too long.
Important Features to Consider
Here’re a few things that you may want to consider when buying a nail grinder for your dog:
Your Dog’s Nails Size
Some grinders are good for grinding the nails of small-sized dogs, while other grinders are designed for large dogs. Make sure you get an appropriate grinder that fits your dog’s nails well.
Ease of Use
Choose a dog nail grinder that is easy to use and maneuver. Look at the instruction manual, if the grinder seems too complicated for you, you better skip it.
As for the handling, you want to find a grinder that is lightweight, has an ergonomic shape and grip handle so that you can hold it comfortably.
One or Two Speed?
For most dog owners, I guess it would be better to pick a nail grinder that has at least two speeds. You can start with the quick setting to reduce the nail length, then switch to the slower option as you come closer to the quick.
Grinding Stones and Grit Bands
Choosing a dog nail grinder that has multiple grinding stones and band attachments will give you an option and make it easy for you to pick the correct level of coarseness based on the thickness of your dog’s nails.
Different nail grinders have different grinding power. You should choose one that is suitable for your dog. If the power is too low, you won’t be able to trim effectively. And if the power is too high, the friction of the grinding stone can accidentally burn your dog’s nails.
Corded or Cordless?
Personally, I prefer a cordless dog nail grinder for mobility since I like to do the grinding outside, but if your dog has large thick nails, you may want to get a corded grinder for more power for a longer period of time.
Battery-Based or Electric Nail Grinder?
Both are equally good in terms of performance. If you prefer a battery-based dog nail grinder, you should think about whether you’d prefer a rechargeable model or one that is powered by the classic AA battery.
How to Use a Dog Nail Grinder?
Here’s a step-by-step guide for using a dog nail grinder:
1. First of all, take a quick look at your dog’s nails to check out the quick — the thin red line that runs through the nail. Then take a look at your dog’s nails and measure how much you need to trim, so it’s even with their pad. Mark it in your mind
2. Hold your pooch and experiment to find a comfortable position for both of you. You may need to hold your pooch in your lap, put them on a table, or ask a friend to help hold them still.
3. Turn on the nail grinder. If this is the first time your dog will be ground, you may need to take some time to let your dog get used to the grinder. You can do this by turning the grinder on and off several times in front of your dog. If your dog remains calm, you may give them a treat or two as a reward.
4. Place the grinder near the bottom part of the nail at a 45-degree angle below the quick and start grinding a small amount at a time. Grind slowly across the bottom and then carefully in from the tip of the nail. Be careful when you reach the quick.
5. Once you’re done with the shaping, you can start a circular grinding to smoothen the rough edges.
6. Repeat the step for the rest of your dog’s nails. Don’t forget to throw them some treats during the grinding session to encourage good behavior.
Need a visual demonstration? Check out the following video by Drs.Foster Smith:
More Dog Nail Grinding Tips and Tricks
Prepare for The Accident. On some occasions, you might accidentally trim your dog’s nails too short and cause pain and bleeding. If this happens, you need to get the bleeding under control immediately using cornstarch or styptic powder.
If they don’t work, apply gentle pressure with a clean cloth or bandage. Hold the pressure for 15 to 20 minutes. If this still doesn’t work, take your dog to your vet immediately.
Hold The Grinder Higher Up. You may find it is easier to maneuver the grinder when you hold it close to the top.
Only Hold the Grind in Small Increments. To avoid the grinder getting hot and burn your dog’s paws, you want to hold it against the nails for a second or two at a time.
Watch Out for Long Hair or Fur. If your dog is long-haired, you want to make sure no hair gets in your way while you’re trimming and grinding your dog’s nails.
You can grab a band and tie your dog’s hair up, or if you have an old pair of pantyhose, you can also use it. Put your old pantyhose over your dog’s paw and push the nail through, and you’re ready to grind.