Dachshund is the 13th most popular dog breeds in the United States according to AKC. Coming from the line of hunting dog breeds, this badger dog is known for their furious temper. With their temper, you don’t want to left Dachshund alone too frequently otherwise they will experience separation anxiety and may start to chew anything in the house; this is the reason why you need to give them chew toys to keep their mind occupied so they won’t start chewing your clothes or furniture.
Best Chew Toys for Dachshunds – A Quick List
In a hurry? Take a look at this list of the best chew toys for Dachshund.
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
What Should You Look For?
First off, it’s important to understand their traits first before buying any chew toys for your Dachshunds. Dachshund is a dog that is originally bred for the purpose of badger hunting which makes them very adept to dig their way into a badger den and tunneling in the tight burrow to chase down chase small moving animals such as rabbit or fox.
Chew toys that resemble something like a tennis ball are the best toy to satisfy their hunting instinct. Durable chew toys that allow for treat stuffing are also great. On the other hand, you want to avoid Frisbee, Flying Disk, or Squeaky Toys. Though they may be great at hunting but they are awful at jumping.
They are prone to spinal problems, especially intervertebral disk disease (IDD) — a spinal problem which is often experienced by a breed with an extremely spinal column and short rib cage. The spinal problem will often get worsened and lead to the risk of injury when your dog does intense jumping a lot.
I also don’t recommend to buy a lot of squeaker toys, one or two is enough but not too many. Those squeaky toys will make them go wild and they will not stop until they succeedingly torn apart the poor little toys. If you want to give them squeaky toys just for their amusement, you need to make sure the toys are made from high-quality materials that won’t break apart easily.
Why Does Regular Exercise Important?
Giving your Dachshund regular exercise is important since the exercise can help build strong muscles to support and protect their back. The best exercises include regular walks and playing games. Some of the best games that you can play with your Dachshund are Earthdog trial, fetch, and hide and seek.
It’s best to play games at your house or backyard not outside when there are too many people because Daschund is not a very social, so they might feel shy when you bring them outside to play games.
The Best Chew Toys for Dachshunds – Best Picks and Reviews
1. Kong Rubber Ball
- POWER CHEWING DOGS: The natural KONG Extreme black rubber formula is created to be very durable for power chewing dogs.
- FETCH TOY: The extreme bounce makes this ball a great choice for fun games of fetch with lots of interactive play and exercise.
There is Kong Rubber Ball on top of the list of the best chew toys for Dachshunds. This toy is an ideal toy that can satisfy both their hunting and burrowing instinct. This toy has a little hole in it to stuff their favorite treats to give the same experience as tough they tunnel in tight burrows to chase their prey. It is made of the legendary Kong rubber, so you can rest assure this toy is strong enough to withstand their powerful bite.
Some dog owners reported how their dogs played with this toy for weeks and after all those biting and chasings, the toy was still intact without nothing more than just a small dent.
2. Chuckit! Ultra Ball
- ULTRA BOUNCE BALL: This squeaker ball toy for dogs entices play with fun sounds & high-bounces. Play fetch at the lake or pool thanks to the lightweight, buoyant design. Compatible with Chuckit! ball launcher.
- TOUGH & DURABLE: Rubber ball for dogs has a textured surface & a thick rubber core for aggressive chewers yet is soft on dog's mouths.
Chuckit! is one of the best toys to play run and fetch. Toss the ball across your backyard or room and let them run and fetch it for you. This kind of game not only gives mental and physical stimulation but also satisfy their hunting instinct.
This toy has an extra natural rubber core to withstand even the most strong chewer and durable enough for long-term use. It also has high-visibility color so you can spot it easily when the ball slips under your bed or furniture. Remember, you need to throw it high enough so they won’t be able to jump to get it. Instead, they have to run and chase it.
3. Kaositong Interactive Dog Toys
- PLAY SMARTER! Fill it with your dog’s favorite treats and challenge him to get them out. Strengthen your dog’s mental capabilities while preventing boredom, furniture damage and fussy eater.
- KEEP HIM ON HIS TOES with LumoLeaf Treat Dispensing Ball. By controlling how easily treats come out via adjusting the sliding door of the port, your dog’s problem-solving IQ will continue to grow.
Kaositong is another interactive dog toys that stimulate your Dachshund’s mind and body for hours of fun. You can put some of their favorite treats inside and let them figure out the ways to retrieve those treats.
The treats will spill out as they play with it to provide interactive feeding experience. I simply love the design, it helps to clean your dog’s teeth, massage gums and tongue, and reduce dental plaque and tartar. It’s made from the non-toxic durable material.
4. JW Pet Company Small Megalast Ball
- Super tough megalastomer ball constructed from thermo plastic rubber
- Floating toy
JW Pet Company Small Megalast Ball is a super tough bouncy ball made from durable Thermo Plastic Rubber. It’s one of the sturdiest balls that can hold up against the jaw of the most powerful chewers such as German Shepherd and Pit Bull.
And just like the other toys above, this ball can also be filled with your dog’s favorite treats. The ball is infused with a vanilla scent and available in three bright colors and in four assorted geometric styles for added fun. Just see how fun it is when you see your dog chasing after it inside and out.
5. Wishbone Dog Chew Toy
- Dog-Friendly Design – Last time we checked, dogs don’t have thumbs. Our wishbone chew is cleverly designed so your pup can get a good chew going.
- Real Flavor – We use only 100% real food ingredients for irresistible flavor and scent. We fuse 100% USA-sourced REAL BACON all the way through the chew. Dogs can tell the difference.
Wishbone Dog Chew Toy is another top-rated durable chew toy that provides hours of fun chewing experience without worrying it would be shredded easily. As it uses real flavor ingredients, your dog might never be able to tell the difference between this “fake bone” with the real one. Available in three different flavors: real bacon, real chicken, and real peanut.