Previously we have reviewed the top 10 best bike trailers for dogs. Whereas bike trailer is great to carry medium to large dogs, but for smaller dogs, you might want something that’s more….teeny-tiny.
With pet bike baskets, whenever you want to ride, you can just simply put your dog in the basket, get on the bike, and you are ready to go without much hassle.
- Top 10 Best Dog Bike Baskets Reviews of Feb, 2020
- 1. Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot MAX Dog Bicycle Basket Carrier
- 2. Tagalong Pet Bicycle Basket
- 3. Snoozer Pet Rider Rear Bicycle Seat, Black
- 4. Snoozer Sporty Bike Basket
- 5. Walky Basket Pet Dog Bike Basket & Carrier
- 6. DoggyRide Cocoon Bike Basket for Pets
- 7. Petsfit Dog Baskets/Pet Carrier for Bicycle
- 8. AORYVIC Wicker Dog Basket for Bikes
- 9. Large Rear Mount Willow Bicycle Basket for Dogs
- 10. Nantucket Bike Basket Co Expandable Rear Pet Carrier Basket
- Why do you need a dog bike basket?
- What to consider before buying?
- Weight and Size of Your Dog
- Front or Back Mounted Basket
- Easy to Use
- Multi-Use or Not
- Comfort Level
- Safety and Security
- Related Questions
Top 10 Best Dog Bike Baskets Reviews of Feb, 2020
1. Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot MAX Dog Bicycle Basket Carrier
- Not compatible with most E-Bikes, the mount handlebar clamps have a 2.5 inch space between them which is not enough to clear the electronics on E-Bikes.
The Traveling K9 Pet-Pilot Dog Basket is a durable, sturdy, steel-framed pet basket that can hold a small dog up to 20 lbs.
This 2019 model is an improvement of the original Pet-Pilot dog basket introduced in 2018.
Upon request from their customers, Pet-Pilot designs the new model with a larger, well-padded, spacious room (compared with the previous version) to keep your dog comfortable during the ride.
If you need a smaller basket, you may want to check the 2018 model.
Thanks to the steel mount, the basket carries your dog without bouncing or swaying at all during the trip. It hocks in and locks in place steadily.
Also, the steel mounting bracket is adjustable, so you don’t have to worry whether the basket will fit your bike or not. It’s easy to remove and to install; it took me no more than 10 minutes to place it on my bike.
If you’re interested in purchasing the Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot Max Bike Dog Carrier, click here.
2. Tagalong Pet Bicycle Basket
One thing that caught my attention when reviewing this Tagalong Pet Bicycle Basket was its design that looks classic and stylish, which undoubtedly is the main selling point of this dog bike basket.
At 17 x 13 x 10 inches measurement, and 6 pounds weight, this basket is capable of handling a dog up to 13 pounds. With 13 pounds weight capacity, this basket is best to use on one small dog only.
It has a strong and robust structure with an interior liner constructed from removable and washable comfortable sheepskin material. Tough it is faux sheepskin material, it still looks and feels very comfortable.
The sunroof is a nice addition to the basket as it can prevent your dog from jumping and protect him from the sun.
As for safety features, there are two adjustable straps to hold the basket to the handlebars and adjustable safety leash inside the basket.
To take a look, or buy the Solvit Tagalong Pet Bike Basket, click here.
3. Snoozer Pet Rider Rear Bicycle Seat, Black
- Suggested for pets up to 24-pounds/Exterior dimensions: 19"x16"x10"; Interior dimensions: 15"x12"
This easy to install Snoozer Pet Rider Rear Bicycle Seat goes on a back rack and can hold a slightly larger dog up to 24lbs.
Featuring a plywood reinforced base combined with foam padding with the addition of a 3-point safety strap to keep your dog safe during the trip. The 3-point safety strap works wonderfully to keep the dog stuck in the middle.
You might be worried about your dog’s safety if they are a type who likes to hurl his body weight to the side to bark. To keep your dog safe, you may want to pair this basket with “Wald 520 Rear Twin Bicycle Carrier Basket” to keep the base stable.
If you’re interested in this dog bike basket, click here.
4. Snoozer Sporty Bike Basket
- Removable inner pad and chin rest for comfort, Packs and ships flat for easy storage
The front-mounted Snoozer Sporty Bike Basket that has the sporty-looking design is one of the top choices among many dog owners who need a basket to hold dogs up to 14lbs.
This basket comes with a durable microfiber rain cover that can be stored in the front zipper pockets – the smaller one houses the rain cover, and the lower one holds any additional items that you need to carry with you (phone, keys, wallet).
Moreover, the basket has a metal brace in the bottom of it, in the area that rests on the bike’s fork, to prevent the basket from scrapping the tire. I think it is a nice addition to have as many bike baskets neglect the safety of this bottom area.
The basket attaches easily to the handlebars via buckle straps. However, you should note that that the buckles are 1″ thick and are spaced 10″ apart. So you should measure your bike carefully and compare it to the product’s measurement first since this basket may not fit well on smaller bikes.
To purchase, or see more, click here.
5. Walky Basket Pet Dog Bike Basket & Carrier
- Designed for taking your pet with you on a bike ride, Easy Click quick release buckles
What I like about this Walky Basket Pet Dog Bike Basket is how easy the mounting bracket and hardware are to set up. The package comes with two mounting brackets so you can move the basket from one bike to another without hassle.
The instruction to mount the basket is quite clear, and there is a company YouTube video showing you how to attach the basket if you stuck in the process.
The quality of the basket is quite good; it is made of a robust canvas-like material. And to support your dog, the basket uses an internal wire, not a plastic mounting bracket – it is rated to hold a dog up to 20lbs.
As a precaution to keep your dog from jumping out, there are a zippered top included and a leash hooked inside the basket that you can attach to the dog’s collar.
If you’re interested in purchasing the Walky Basket Dog Bike Basket, you can click here.
6. DoggyRide Cocoon Bike Basket for Pets
The DoggyRide Cocoon Bike Basket is a multi-purpose pet basket that can be converted into a pet bed, carrier, or car seat.
Rated for canine up to 16lbs, this carrier is very well constructed as it is made out of durable polyester and water-resistant material, and the sides are made of nylon material with a black similar material liner.
In between the interior and exterior line you’ll find what seems to be a semi-rigid foam that holds the carrier in shape and gives additional protection to your dog.
Furthermore, there is a zippered mesh dome on top of it to keep your dog inside the basket in addition to a rain hood to protect your dog from rain.
You can find this dog bike basket on Amazon’s website here.
7. Petsfit Dog Baskets/Pet Carrier for Bicycle
- Safety leash and drawstring mesh top secures pet inside during moving; Solid bottom prevent pets from sliding down and no metal support required
Measuring at 15.8 x 12.8 x 9.1 inches and weighing 3.6 pounds, this compact and lightweight Petsfit Dog Baskets can hold a small dog up to 10lbs.
One thing that you’ll quickly notice from this basket is the quality of the basket that is very well made; it is made from high-quality oxford materials that look durable and feel very pleasant to touch.
It is very easy to install and very secure. It attaches easily to your bike via heavy velcro and snaps straps that keep the basket stay firmly in place, even when your dog stands up.
And the whole structure is reinforced with a durable steel frame to make it even more stable. There’s a shoulder strap also so it could double as a carrier as well.
If you’re interested in more information about this bike basket, you can find it on Amazon’s website here.
8. AORYVIC Wicker Dog Basket for Bikes
- Wicker Pet bike basket for Puppy, Cats, Pets, Small animals, Picnic, Travelling.
The AORYVIC Wicker Dog Basket for Bikes is another pet basket in this list that gives an old-fashioned kind of feeling, which makes it quite popular among dog owners.
It has 12lbs weight capacity, and when not used to carry your dog you can remove the metal wire to convert it into a shopping basket (or picnic basket). The metal wire top is a nice addition; it keeps your pup from jumping out.
The process of installing the basket is quite simple and straightforward; you just need to attach the long hanging hooks to the bike handlebars, which could be a good or bad thing.
Depending on your bike, the basket might not fit well with some bikes. If you find the basket sag or sway as you’re riding the bike, then you may want to use accessories such as zip ties to fasten the hooks and the belts firmly to the bike.
Beware that this basket does not work well on hybrid or gear changing bikes.
You can find more information about this bike basket on Amazon’s website here.
9. Large Rear Mount Willow Bicycle Basket for Dogs
- Mounts to your bicycle's rear bicycle rack with included steel mounting bracket (Some assembly required). Bracket transfers the weight of the dog and your basket to the seat stays
The handwoven Large Rear Mount Willow Bicycle Basket could be a great option if you like AORYVIC Wicker Dog Basket but need more weight capacity as it is rated for pets up to 25lbs.
There are two different versions available in this model: the back-mounted and the front-mounted. The larger rear basket is the back-mounted version that we’re going to review here, it mounts on the back of the bike.
Meanwhile, if you need a front-mounted version, you can get the “Medium Willow Bicycle Basket” that can be attached easily to the bike handlebars.
The basket is clearly high-quality and will last for a long time. It is hand-crafted from natural willow using a reinforced double weaving technique and coated with a clear resin to protect it from the salt air and sun.
Click here to see the Cape May Large Rear Mount Bike Basket.
10. Nantucket Bike Basket Co Expandable Rear Pet Carrier Basket
- With our new Pet Carrier Collection, you can bring your small dog or cat along for the ride!
This uniquely designed bike basket from Nantucket could be a great choice if you need a dog basket that can be expanded to give your dog even more room to lay down or taking a nap.
It attaches to your bike rack via 4 clip-on nylon straps plus seatpost strap tough the strap on the bottom doesn’t seem to lock well on my bike. You might want to use additional zip ties to reinforce the carrier to the rack.
Click here to see more info or purchase the Nantucket Bike Basket.
Why do you need a dog bike basket?
There is a number of different reasons why you would want to get a dog bike basket, here’s some of them:
- It’s fun for both of you. Cycling together with your little furry buddy is just more fun than biking alone.
- Your buddy is injured. With a pet bike basket, you can bring your injured pooch outside to get a good view and some fresh air, which undoubtedly helps to heal your little buddy faster.
- Great for senior dogs. Your older buddy would love the bike basket as it allows them to go outside and having a breeze without putting too much strain on their tired legs and feet.
What to consider before buying?
Weight and Size of Your Dog
This is a simple but yet often overlooked factor, but before buying any dog bikes, you need to measure how much weight and size your pet has. Only after that, you can buy the pet bike that could accommodate your dog’s weight and size.
Front or Back Mounted Basket
Generally speaking, if you have a very small dog with a weight less than 20lbs, it’s okay to use front-mounted dog bike basket, but if your dog is weighing up to 25lbs, it’s better to opt for back-mounted bike baskets since they have a larger room and can accommodate the heavier weight.
For larger dogs weighing more than 25lbs, it’s better to go with something bigger, like a dog bike trailer.
Easy to Use
Pick a basket that is easy to attach and detach for convenience’s sake.
Multi-Use or Not
Some dog owners might prefer a basket that is multi-use. For example, if you like to go shopping with your bike, you might want to pick a basket that can be converted into a carrier to bring groceries.
The materials that are used to make the basket directly contribute to the comfort level of the basket. Therefore pick a basket that is made from or lined with soft materials.
Internal padding is also another great feature that keeps dogs comfortable during the bike ride.
Safety and Security
Take a look at the safety features that the basket offers. As a starting point, make sure the basket is designed and has enough straps to keep it stable and secure once you attach it to your bike.
Then, make sure there is a harness or leash attachment to prevent your dog from accidentally jumping out during the trip.
Some baskets have zippered dome or mesh tops too, to protect your pet from the weather and help to keep them from falling out or jumping overboard.
How to train your dog to ride in a basket?
First, make your dog is used in the basket, walk the bike with your buddy in the basket on a short trip around your home. Only when they’re getting used to it you can ride with them further.
Think about all kinds of conditions that could happen during the ride: bumpy ride, rain, sidewalk, traffic, cat, squirrel, or other dogs.
Then take them on a test ride. For example, you could purposely bike through a rough surface or in the rain to train them to keep calm and anticipate all things that could happen during the ride.
Whenever your dog passes the test and behaves well, praise and reward them immediately with their favorite treats. In this way, your dog will learn to associate good behavior during the ride with a reward.
Remember, the keywords here are “immediately reward them.” Don’t wait until you get back home, but reward them immediately on the spot whenever they do an excellent job of staying calm and relax.
Dog biking safety tips
1. Don’t go over a weight limit. Stick to the manufacturer’s weight limit guideline and pick a basket that can accommodate your dog’s weight.
2. Use the harness or leash clip. Make sure to clip your dog’s harness or leash to the harness hookups to prevent your dog from hopping out of the basket and cause an accident.
I would prefer a harness over a leash or collar. A harness is a lot safer and can protect your dog better if some things unfortunate happen along the road.
Furthermore, if you use a dog’s collar and your dog tries to leap out all of a sudden, your dog will get a risk of getting themselves choked out.
Latest posts by Andrew Garf (see all)
- 5 Best Bark Collars for German Shepherds in Feb, 2020 - 2020-02-24
- Can German Shepherds Swim? and How to Train Them to Swim - 2020-02-07
- Robot Vacuum for Dog Hair Buying Guide and Other FAQs - 2020-01-28