- What are The Best Dog Bike Baskets in 2020?
- 1. Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot MAX Dog Bicycle Basket Carrier
- 2. Solvit Tagalong Pet Bicycle Basket
- 3. Snoozer Pet Rider Rear Bicycle Seat
- 4. Snoozer Buddy Bike Basket
- 5. Walky Basket Pet Dog Bicycle Bike Basket
- 6. DoggyRide Cocoon Bike Basket for Pets
- 7. Petsfit Safety Dog Bike Basket for Small Dogs
- 8. AORYVIC Wicker Dog Basket for Bikes
- 9. Cape May Large Rear Mount Willow Bicycle Basket for Dogs by Beach and Dog Co
- 10. Nantucket Bike Basket Co Expandable Rear Pet Carrier Basket
- Why do you need a dog bike basket?
- What to consider before buying?
- Dog biking safety tips
- Related FAQs
Previously we have reviewed bike trailers for dogs. Whereas bike trailer is great to carry medium to large dogs, but for smaller dogs, you might want something that’s more….teeny-tiny.
With dog bike basket, whenever you want to ride, you can just simply put your dog in the basket, get on the bike, and you are ready to go without much hassle. Here’s my list of the best bike baskets for dogs.
What are The Best Dog Bike Baskets in 2020?
- Top Pick: Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot MAX Dog Bicycle Basket Carrier
- Solvit Tagalong Pet Bicycle Basket
- Snoozer Pet Rider Rear Bicycle Seat
- Snoozer Buddy Bike Basket
- Walky Basket Pet Dog Bicycle Bike Basket
- DoggyRide Cocoon Bike Basket for Pets
- Petsfit Safety Dog Bike Basket for Small Dogs
- AORYVIC Wicker Dog Basket for Bikes
- Cape May Large Rear Mount Willow Bicycle Basket for Dogs by Beach and Dog Co
- Nantucket Bike Basket Co Expandable Rear Pet Carrier Basket
1. Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot MAX Dog Bicycle Basket Carrier
The Traveling K9 Pet-Pilot Dog Basket is my pick for the best dog bike basket. It’s a durable, sturdy, steel-framed pet basket that can hold small dogs up to 20 pounds.
This 2019 model is an improvement of the original Pet-Pilot dog bike basket introduced in 2018. If you need a basket for smaller dogs, you may want to check the 2018 model.
Upon request from their customers, Pet-Pilot designs the new model with a larger, well-padded, spacious room (compared with the previous version) in addition to a front air vent made from mesh material to keep your dog comfortable during the ride.
Thanks to the steel handlebar mount, the basket carries your furry friend without bouncing or swaying at all during the trip. It hocks in and locks in place steadily. Also, the steel mounting bracket is adjustable, so you don’t have to worry whether the basket will fit your bike or not. It’s easy to remove and to install; it took me no more than 10 minutes to place it on my bike.
- Front mesh venting – your furry friend will love the front mesh design that keeps him from overheating when biking on hot days as the front mesh vent keeps the cool airflow coming through the vent.
- Multiple storage pockets to hold a water bottle, keys, cell phone, leash, treats, or anything you want to carry with you.
- Reflective strip on the sides to keep you visible in low-light situations.
- Extra side pockets.
- Steel frame.
- Front mesh air vent.
- I think the basket can be improved a little bit better by adding a metal bar under it to support the whole structure.
- The mount that touches the bike neck is quite slippery. If you find the same issue, you may want to tape it onto the neck to keep it from sliding.
2. Solvit Tagalong Pet Bicycle Basket
One thing that caught my attention when reviewing this Tagalong Pet Bicycle Basket was its design that looks classic and stylish, which undoubtedly is the main selling point of this pet bike basket.
At 17 x 13 x 10 inches measurement, and 6 pounds weight, this basket is capable of handling a dog up to 13 pounds. With 13 pounds weight capacity, this basket is best to use on small dogs only.
It has a strong and robust structure with an interior liner constructed from removable and machine washable sheepskin liner. It also features a unique bracket system that makes it easy to take the basket on and off the bicycle.
The sunroof is a nice addition to the basket as it can prevent your dog from jumping and protect him from the sun.
As for safety features, there are two adjustable straps to hold the basket to the patented handlebar mount and adjustable safety leash inside the basket.
- Easy to follow instructions, easy to set up, and easy to put on a bike.
- Ample room for your dog to move around and lay down.
- The basket absorbs some of the bumps when tested on the bumpy road.
- Easy to snap and unsnap.
- Washable faux sheepskin liner.
- Available in a brown or sleek silver version.
- The wicker basket is not made out of wood but from a vinyl string. I wish they could make it from wood material and still offering the basket at the same price.
- You can’t install the basket on the back of a bike. It can only be put in front of your bike.
3. Snoozer Pet Rider Rear Bicycle Seat
This easy to install Snoozer Pet Rider Rear Bicycle Seat goes on a back bike rack and can hold a slightly larger dog up to 24lbs.
Featuring a plywood reinforced base combined with foam padding with the addition of a 3-point safety strap to keep your pet safe during the trip. The 3-point safety strap works wonderfully to keep the dog stuck in the middle.
You might be worried about your dog’s safety if they are a type who likes to hurl his body weight to the side to bark. To keep your pet even safer, you may want to pair this basket with “Wald 520 Rear Twin Bicycle Carrier Basket” to keep the base stable.
- Removable and washable cover. However, you do have to remove the safety strap before you can remove the cover.
- A highly visible reflective strip.
- Bracket system that makes the bicycle carrier easy to attach and detach. If you are confused with the installation, there is a YouTube video for more explicit instruction.
- Inner leash clip.
- Multiple storage pockets.
- Folds flat for easy storage.
- I was confused a bit on how to attach the harness to my dog as the instruction is not clear enough.
4. Snoozer Buddy Bike Basket
The front-mounted Snoozer Sporty Bike Carrier that has the sporty-looking design is one of the top choices among many dog owners who need a basket to hold dogs up to 14lbs.
This basket comes with a durable microfiber rain cover that can be stored in the front zipper storage pockets – the smaller one houses the rain cover, and the lower one holds any additional items that you need to carry with you (phone, keys, wallet).
Moreover, the basket has a metal brace in the bottom of it, in the area that rests on the bike’s fork, to prevent the basket from scrapping the tire. I think it is a nice addition to have as a lot of bike carriers neglect the safety of this bottom area.
The basket attaches easily to the handlebars via buckle straps. However, you should note that that the buckles are 1″ thick and are spaced 10″ apart. So you should measure your bike carefully and compare it to the product’s measurement first since this basket may not fit well on smaller bikes.
- Comfortable inner pads that can be removed.
- Plenty of room to move around.
- Two strap handles to carry your furry friend off the bike.
- Adjustable strap to fit on the handlebars.
- Folds flat for easy storage.
- Easy to install.
- Inner leash clip.
- Extra side pockets.
- The two straps that rest on the handlebars are wobbly which could cause a problem if your bike does not have straight handlebars because the straps slide with the curves of the handlebars.
- The canvas that is sown on the bottom of the basket is not strong enough and easily broken.
5. Walky Basket Pet Dog Bicycle Bike Basket
What I like about this Walky Basket Pet Dog Carrier is how easy the mounting bracket and hardware are to set up. The package comes with two mounting brackets so you can move the basket from one bike to another without hassle.
The instruction to mount the basket is quite clear, and there is a company YouTube video showing you how to attach the basket if you stuck in the process.
The quality of the basket is quite good; it is made of a robust canvas-like material. And to support your dog, the basket uses an internal wire, not a plastic mounting bracket – it is rated to hold a dog up to 20lbs.
As a precaution to keep your dog from jumping out, there are a zippered top included and a safety leash hooked inside the basket that you can attach to the dog’s collar.
- Plenty of room for your dog to move around.
- Adjustable straps that are made of durable nylon material.
- Multiple uses. You can use it as a pet carrier when you’re not riding.
- Many users seem to have a problem with keeping the basket stay upright on the handlebars.
- At first, I also had the same problem; the basket kept sliding down onto the front wheel no matter what I did until I re-read the instruction again.
- I found out that the key to keeping the basket from sliding lies in the security cable. You need to tighten and adjust the cable properly because it is the cable that holds the carrier up in place.
6. DoggyRide Cocoon Bike Basket for Pets
The DoggyRide Cocoon Dog Carrier is a multi-purpose pet basket that can be converted into a pet bed, carrier, or car seat.
Rated for canine up to 16lbs, this carrier is very well constructed as it is made out of durable polyester and water-resistant material, and the sides are made of nylon material with a black similar material liner.
In between the interior and exterior line you’ll find what seems to be a semi-rigid foam that holds the carrier in shape and gives additional protection to your dog.
Furthermore, there is a zippered mesh cover on top of it and a rain cover to protect your dog from rain.
- A lot of space to move around.
- A thick black mesh cover that is made out of heavy-duty material.
- Easy to install a patented handlebar mount.
- Very difficult to detach.
- The handlebar adapter is not user-friendly and does not tighten to lock the basket in place.
7. Petsfit Safety Dog Bike Basket for Small Dogs
Measuring at 15.8 x 12.8 x 9.1 inches and weighing 3.6 pounds, this compact and lightweight Petsfit Dog Baskets can hold small dogs up to 10lbs.
One thing that you’ll quickly notice from this basket is the quality of the basket that is very well made; it is made from high-quality oxford materials that look durable and feel very pleasant to touch.
It is very easy to install and very secure. It attaches easily to your bike via heavy velcro and snaps straps that keep the basket stay firmly in place, even when your dog stands up.
And the whole structure is reinforced with a durable steel frame to make it even more stable. There’s a shoulder strap also so it could double as a carrier as well.
- Pull-string top rain cover to keep your Fido dry on rainy days.
- Multiple storage pockets to carry a water bottle, key, snack, phone, etc.
- Decent price.
- Removable and machine washable inner pad.
- Be sure to measure the height from the handlebar to the wheel as the basket is quite tall and might not fit your bike.
- The tether clip to attach the dog’s harness is low-quality. You should replace it with a better small D-ring to make sure your dog won’t be able to jump out.
8. AORYVIC Wicker Dog Basket for Bikes
The AORYVIC Wicker Dog Basket for Bikes is another pet basket in this list that gives an old-fashioned kind of feeling, which makes it quite popular among dog owners.
It has 12lbs weight capacity, and when not used to carry your dog you can remove the metal wire to convert it into a shopping basket (or picnic basket). The metal wire top is a nice addition; it keeps your pup from jumping out.
The process of installing the basket is quite simple and straightforward; you just need to attach the long hanging hooks to the bike handlebars, which could be a good or bad thing.
Depending on your bike, the basket might not fit well with some bikes. If you find the basket sag or sway as you’re riding the bike, then you may want to use accessories such as zip ties to fasten the hooks and the belts firmly to the bike.
Beware that this basket does not work well on hybrid or gear changing bikes.
- When converted into a shopping basket it can carry stuff up to 20lbs.
- Only fits a small pooch.
- Does not work well on hybrid bikes.
9. Cape May Large Rear Mount Willow Bicycle Basket for Dogs by Beach and Dog Co
The handwoven Large Rear Mount Willow Bicycle Basket could be a great option if you like AORYVIC Wicker Dog Basket but need more weight capacity as it is rated for pets up to 25lbs.
There are two different versions available in this model: the back-mounted and the front-mounted. The larger rear basket is the back-mounted version that we’re going to review here, it mounts on the back of the bike.
Meanwhile, if you need a front-mounted version, you can get the “Medium Willow Bicycle Basket” that can be attached easily to the bike handlebars.
The basket is clearly high-quality and will last for a long time. It is hand-crafted from natural willow using a reinforced double weaving technique and coated with a clear resin to protect it from the salt air and sun.
- Included adjustable safety leash and two 36 inches cable ties.
- The bottom is so thin, you might have to put another piece of wood to attach the basket.
10. Nantucket Bike Basket Co Expandable Rear Pet Carrier Basket
This uniquely designed dog carrier for bikes from Nantucket could be a great choice if you need a dog basket that can be expanded to give your dog even more room to lay down or taking a nap.
It attaches to your bike rack via 4 clip-on nylon straps plus seatpost strap tough the strap on the bottom doesn’t seem to lock well on my bike. You might want to use additional zip ties to reinforce the carrier to the rack.
- Mesh cover at the top and the back for ventilation.
- Removable and washable fleece pad.
- Attached safety leash inside to keep your dog safe.
- The strap on the bottom is not strong enough and would come to lose as your dog shifted around.
Why do you need a dog bike basket?
There is a number of different reasons why you would want to get a dog bike basket, here’s some of them:
- It’s fun for both of you. Cycling together with your little furry buddy is just more fun than biking alone.
- Your buddy is injured. With a pet bike basket, you can bring your injured pooch outside to get a good view and some fresh air, which undoubtedly helps to heal your little buddy faster.
- Great for senior dogs. Your older buddy would love the bike carrier as it allows them to go outside and having a breeze without putting too much strain on their tired legs and feet.
What to consider before buying?
Weight and Size of Your Dog
This is a simple but yet often overlooked factor, but before buying any dog bikes, you need to measure how much weight and size your pet has. Only after that, you can buy the pet bike that could accommodate your dog’s weight and size.
Front or Back Mounted Basket
Generally speaking, if you have a very small pooch weighing less than 20lbs, it’s okay to use front-mounted dog bike carrier, but if your dog is weighing up to 25lbs, it’s better to opt for back-mounted bike carrier since they have a larger room and can accommodate the heavier weight.
For larger dogs weighing more than 25lbs, it’s better to go with something bigger, like a dog bike trailer.
Easy to Use
Pick a basket that is easy to attach and detach for convenience’s sake.
Multi-Use or Not
Some dog owners might prefer a basket that is multi-use. For example, if you like to go shopping with your bike, you might want to pick a basket that can be converted into a carrier to bring groceries.
The materials that are used to make the basket directly contribute to the comfort level of the basket. Therefore pick a basket that is made from or lined with soft materials.
Internal padding is also another great feature that keeps dogs comfortable during the long bike rides.
Safety and Security
Take a look at the safety features that the basket offers, such as leash clip, strap, and reflective strip. As a starting point, make sure the basket is designed and has enough straps to keep it stable and secure once you attach it to your bike. Then, make sure there is a harness or leash attachment to prevent your dog from accidentally jumping out during the trip.
Some of the best dog baskets have zippered dome or mesh tops too, to protect your pet from the weather and help to keep them from falling out or jumping overboard.
Dog biking safety tips
1. Don’t go over a weight limit. Stick to the manufacturer’s weight limit guideline and pick a basket for dogs that can accommodate your dog’s weight.
2. Use the harness or leash clip. Make sure to clip your dog’s harness or leash to the leash attachment to prevent your dog from hopping out of the basket and cause an accident.
I would prefer a harness over a leash or collar. A harness is a lot safer and can protect your dog better if some things unfortunate happen along the road.
Furthermore, if you use a dog’s collar and your dog tries to leap out all of a sudden, your dog will get a risk of getting themselves choked out.
1. How to train your dog to ride in a basket?
First, make your dog is used in the basket, walk the bike with your buddy in the basket on a short trip around your home. Only when they’re getting used to it you can ride with them further.
Think about all kinds of conditions that could happen during the bike ride: bumpy ride, rain, sidewalk, traffic, cat, squirrel, or other dogs.
Then take them on a test ride. For example, you could purposely bike through a rough surface or in the rain to train them to keep calm and anticipate all things that could happen during the ride.
Whenever your dog passes the test and behaves well, praise and reward them immediately with their favorite treats. In this way, your dog will learn to associate good behavior during the ride with a reward.
Remember, the keywords here are “immediately reward them.” Don’t wait until you get back home, but reward them immediately on the spot whenever they do an excellent job of staying calm and relax.
2. How to secure my dog in a bike basket?
Many best dog baskets come with features such as inbuilt leash attachment and straps. You can use these safety features to keep your pup safe and secure in the bike carrier. Remember to check the manufacturer’s instruction first if you’re unfamiliar with a particular carrier.
The weight capacity is another important factor you should consider when buying a bike basket. You’ll want to select one that can hold your dog’s weight.