What is a better way to spend a weekend than biking while your best buddy, bathing in sunlight and breeze of fresh air, chasing after you all over the park?
There are a lot of benefits that you can get from biking regularly with your dog such as better health, clearer mind, better vitality. And…not forget to mention, biking is a great way to spend some quality bonding time with your canine friend.
But sometimes unfortunate thing happens, your dog might get an injury or illness. Or if you have an older or senior dog, he might be just too tired to run for hours.
Getting injury or illness doesn’t mean your dog has to stay at home all the time. You can still let him have fun outside with the help of dog bike trailers. With these dog bike trailers, your dog can go outside while he conveniently and safely sits inside his van.
Here’re the top ten big dog bike trailers that I find the best for big dogs:
- Top 10 Best Big Dog Bike Trailers of Feb, 2020
- 1. DoggyRide Novel Bike Trailer
- 2. Burley Design Tail Wagon Bicycle Trailer
- 3. DoggyRide Novel 10 Anniversary Bike Trailer for Pets
- 4. Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer
- 5. Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer
- 6. Solvit HoundAbout II Pet Bicycle Trailer
- 7. Rage Powersports PT-20304-B Blue 2-in-1 Dog Bike Trailer
- 8. Booyah Large Pet Bike Trailer Dog Stroller & Jogger
- 9. Kinbor New Pet Bicycle Trailer Dog Carrier 3 Wheels-1
- 10. Sepnine 2 in1 Medium pet Dog Bike Trailer Bicycle Trailer
- What to Look for Before Buying Bike Trailer for Your Big Dog
- What Size of Bike Trailer Do You Need?
- Do You Bike Regularly?
- How Good is The Quality of The Hitch Used?
- Do You Need Multi-Purpose Trailer?
- How Easy It is to Clean
- How Easy it is to Store and Move
- How Safe is the Trailer?
- What about The Frame Material and Design?
- What About The Handlebar?
- How Easy The Trailer is for Your Dog To Enter and Exit
- What About The Wheels?
- Other Important Features to Consider
Top 10 Best Big Dog Bike Trailers of Feb, 2020
1. DoggyRide Novel Bike Trailer
This rugged yet lightweight dog bike trailer can carry a dog up to 110lbs, which makes it an excellent option to carry even the biggest dogs.
This DoggyRide Novel Bike Trailer can also be used for many different purposes and situations. It can be converted to a stroller jogger with an optional kit (not included). It can be used to carry on some gears and items by adding a cargo roof rack, great for camping and road trip. And it can be turned into a dog crate for a place for your dog to sleep.
If you’re interested in purchasing the DoggyRide Novel Bike Trailer, click here.
2. Burley Design Tail Wagon Bicycle Trailer
- Tail Wagon by Burley features a removable floor for washing, optional securing tie downs
The Tail Wagon Bicycle Trailer is one of the best big dog bike trailers in the market, made by Burley (a transport gear manufacturer founded in 1978), this trailer comes with everything you need to go riding with your big dog.
This yellow-colored trailer can hold pet up to 75lbs, big enough for my 68lb German Shepherd to hope into.
You can find this dog bike trailer on Amazon’s website here.
3. DoggyRide Novel 10 Anniversary Bike Trailer for Pets
- Lightweight matte black, anti rust aluminum alloy frame, spokes, hubs and accessories
This special edition bike trailer is made to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the company which initially known by the name of “Dutch Dog” and started in the Netherlands in 2003.
Being a special 10th-anniversary edition, the DoggyRide Novel 10 Anniversary Bike Trailer is built to impress and support everything that you need to ride with your dog. This trailer is made to hold dogs up to 60lbs.
To take a look, or buy this dog bike trailer, click here.
4. Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer
- 2-IN-1 DESIGN: Can be used as a jogging stroller that you push as you run, or it can be attached to your bike as a bike trailer for a cycling adventure.
The Aosom Elite II Dog Bike Trailer is a convertible dog bike trailer that can be converted from a dog bike trailer to a dog stroller quickly and easily. It can handle dogs up to 88lbs with a suspension that will make your pooch’s ride a smooth one.
If you’re interested in this dog bike trailer, click here.
5. Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer
- KEEPS PETS SAFE: Fabric window serves as a bug-screen to keep insects out, and a removable cushion keeps your pet comfortable during the ride
This budget-priced Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer is a dual function trailer that can be used as a trailer or stroller.
Designed to support a dog up to 66 lbs, you’ll find this 2-in-1 trailer is quite handy and comes with many great features that are good enough for a short trip around the block.
To purchase, or see more, click here.
6. Solvit HoundAbout II Pet Bicycle Trailer
- RIDE IN COMFORT: Features a front door with waterproof layer and mesh screen layer, a rear door with mesh screen and a sunroof to give you and your pet options for all types of weather; includes a cushion for a comfortable ride
This durable blue-colored dog bike trailer can hold dogs up to 110lbs. The very wide wheelbase and the low and close to the ground design makes this Solvit HoundAbout II Pet Bicycle Trailer unique compared with other big dog bike trailers in the market.
In my opinion, the close-to-the-ground design is beneficial for injured or disabled dogs as they can hope into the cart quickly.
If you’re interested in purchasing the Solvit HoundAbout II Pet Bike Trailer, you can click here.
7. Rage Powersports PT-20304-B Blue 2-in-1 Dog Bike Trailer
- Pet trailer designed for use as either a pull-behind bike trailer or push stroller
This well-rounded dog bike trailer that has a lovely blue and gray color can carry pets up to 130 lbs. Offered at an affordable price tag, the Rage Powersports PT-20304-B Blue 2-in-1 Dog Bike Trailer comes with all of the features that you’d expect to find in other higher-priced dog bike trailers.
If you’re interested, you can click here to get more info or purchase.
8. Booyah Large Pet Bike Trailer Dog Stroller & Jogger
- MB = Manual Break. This has a hand break by the wheel. Free from brake wires. You are able to remove the handlebar completely. This is a bulky item. Do your measurements before purchasing. 34 inches wide. Check doors and elevators you may be using. Works as both a stroller and a bicycle trailer for dogs up to 88lbs. Make sure to compare your pet with the interior dimensions. Not all dogs will fit.
This greeny Boyah Large Pet Bike Trailer that has a spacious, extra-wide room can hold up a big dog up to 88lbs. Injured, disabled, or senior dogs will love this trailer because this stroller provides more than enough room space for them to sit or lay down.
You can find this bike trailer on Amazon’s website here.
9. Kinbor New Pet Bicycle Trailer Dog Carrier 3 Wheels-1
- - Lightweight steel frame and It is compatible with pretty much any bike
With 88 lbs weight capacity, the black and red Kinbor New Pet Bicycle Trailer Dog Carrier can be another great alternative to look for. This trailer is compatible with almost any bike and very easy to connect and disconnect.
You can find more information about this dog bike trailer on Amazon’s website here.
10. Sepnine 2 in1 Medium pet Dog Bike Trailer Bicycle Trailer
This two-in-one dog bike trailer with 66lbs maximum capacity is the last bike trailer in this list.
The Sepnine 2 in 1 Medium Pet Dog Bike Trailer converts between trailer and jogger easily without tools. It’s designed for small to medium-sized dogs and has a capacity of 66 lbs (30 kg).
To take a look, or buy this bike trailer, click here.
What to Look for Before Buying Bike Trailer for Your Big Dog
Before we part for the day, there are several other things that I would like to mention that might be helpful for you.
What Size of Bike Trailer Do You Need?
Before buying any dog bike trailer from the list above, you must always measure your pet first. Pay attention especially to the dimension and the weight capacity of the trailer.
Generally, you want to buy a trailer that is one size of two sizes bigger so your dog can comfortably sit, lie down, and turn around.
Do You Bike Regularly?
If, for example, you’re off and on bike trips regularly, you may need to spend more on a higher-quality bike trailer that is built from high-grade materials for long-term usage.
How Good is The Quality of The Hitch Used?
The quality of the hitch is an important aspect to look for. The hitch determines how easy to connect and disconnect your bike to the trailer and how safe the trailer is when you ride with your dog on the road.
Look for a hitch made of metal material that comes with a safety strap. A safety trap helps to keep your dog safe in case the trailer comes unhooked.
Do You Need Multi-Purpose Trailer?
Your Fido might not need another stroller or crate if he has already had one and very content with it. You can save money by buying a single-use dog bike trailer model.
However, if you like to camp or jog regularly as well, you may want to consider getting a multi-use trailer that can be converted into a stroller to alternate between biking and jogging. Or use it as a place for your pooch to sleep during camping or traveling.
How Easy It is to Clean
After your first ride, you’ll find out how much dirt the trailer could get in just one single trip. To make your cleaning job more manageable and take less time, look for dog trailers that offer a removable floor, and washable interior.
How Easy it is to Store and Move
If you want to take the trailer in your car to travel, you may want to look for a collapsible trailer that has removable wheels for easy transport.
Not only for easy transport but the collapsible feature also makes it easy to store the stroller in a small enclosed area which helps in saving up some spaces.
How Safe is the Trailer?
Depending on where you live, the trailer that you want to buy should meet and adhere to specific safety standards defined by an authorized organization such as the American Society for Testing and Material Standards.
Certain features that ASTMS compliant trailer should possess include: hitch safety strap or an attached leash hook, automatic braking system, flags marking, solid floor.
What about The Frame Material and Design?
All dog bike trailers in the market are made from plastic, aluminum, or steel frame. Aluminum plastic frame bike trailers are not recommended and should be avoided regardless of the size and weight of your dog since they are too flimsy and therefore unsafe.
There’s no hard and fast rule about which type of frame you should prefer more between the aluminum frame and steel frame.
But generally speaking, for dogs up to 80lbs, aluminum frame dog bike trailers will suffice. As for dogs over 80lbs, you want to consider getting steel frame bike trailers.
What About The Handlebar?
2-in-1 or 3-in-1 models that can be converted into a stroller or tent have an adjustable handlebar with an ergonomic design that you can raise or lower to match your height so you can push the stroller comfortably.
How Easy The Trailer is for Your Dog To Enter and Exit
A big dog needs a trailer with a big opening so he can get in and out without much hassle. There is nothing more frustrating for your big dog than having a trailer with an opening that is too small for him.
This is another reason why you need to measure your pet size carefully before buying the trailer.
What About The Wheels?
Wheels are an essential part of dog bike trailers that will ensure how smooth your ride is. Large wheels made of a spoked alloy are the best choice since they are more stable on the road and more durable.
Other Important Features to Consider
- Easy to install and set up.
- Weather cover and canopy to protect your pet from rain and sun.
- Mesh vented windows for airflow and good view.
- Bug screen to protect your pooch from any bug bites.
- A good suspension system for a smoother ride even on a bumpy road.
- 30 days warranty or more.
Latest posts by Andrew Garf (see all)
- 5 Best Bark Collars for German Shepherds in Feb, 2020 - 2020-02-24
- Can German Shepherds Swim? and How to Train Them to Swim - 2020-02-07
- Robot Vacuum for Dog Hair Buying Guide and Other FAQs - 2020-01-28