If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best dog bike trailer is, then we recommend the DoggyRide Novel Bike Trailer as the best one.
What is a better way to spend a weekend than biking while your best buddy, bathing in sunlight and breeze of fresh air, chasing after you all over the park?
There are a lot of benefits that you can get from biking regularly with your dog such as better health, clearer mind, better vitality. And…not forget to mention, biking is a great way to spend some quality bonding time with your canine friend.
But sometimes unfortunate thing happens, your dog might get an injury or illness. Or if you have an older or senior dog, he might be just too tired to run for hours.
Getting injury or illness doesn’t mean your dog has to stay at home all the time. You can still let him have fun outside with the help of dog bike trailers. With these dog bike trailers, your dog can go outside while he conveniently and safely sits inside his van.
Our Top Picks for The Best Dog Bike Trailers
- DoggyRide Novel Dog Bike Trailer – Best Overall
- Burley Design Tail Wagon Bike Trailer – Runner Up
- DoggyRide Novel10 Anniversary Bike Trailer
- Aosom Elite II 2-in-1 Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller
Best Dog Bike Trailer Reviews
1. DoggyRide Novel Dog Bike Trailer
This rugged yet lightweight dog bike trailer can carry a dog up to 110lbs, which makes it an excellent option to carry even the biggest dogs.
This DoggyRide Novel Bike Trailer can also be used for many different purposes and situations. It can be converted to a stroller jogger with an optional kit (not included). It can be used to carry on some gears and items by adding a cargo roof rack, great for camping and road trip. And it can be turned into a dog crate for a place for your dog to sleep.
- Very well made, simple and nice design, and easy to use
- Easy to assemble. Mostly, you just need to do three things-pop on the wheels, unfold it and secure the ceiling bar piece-and it’s ready to go
- Quick-release wheels making it easy to transport or store away after use
- A padded headrest to keep your pooch comfortable
- Reflective stripes for night walking
- Back pouch to bring water and snacks
- Some senior or injured dogs might find it too narrow and difficult to lay down inside
2. Burley Design Tail Wagon Bike Trailer
The Tail Wagon Bicycle Trailer is one of the best big dog bike trailers in the market, made by Burley (a transport gear manufacturer founded in 1978), this trailer comes with everything you need to go riding with your big dog.
This yellow-colored trailer can hold pet up to 75lbs, big enough for my 68lb German Shepherd to hope into.
- Strong and sturdy construction
- Removable floor for easy cleaning
- Flip-down tailgate for quick loading and unloading
- Front and back door with a plastic cover that can be rolled up and velcroed out of place
- The plastic cover protects your dog from any muds and road grits during the bike
- Easy to install and set up. It took me just 20 minutes from unboxing ’til the trailer was ready
- Weatherproof cover with a waterproof zipper to protect your pooch from the rain or snow
- Mesh vented window on four sides for maximum airflow and visibility
- Even though this trailer has a great length, it’s too narrow for some dogs to lay on its side
- Therefore this trailer may not be a good choice for senior or tall dogs such as Shetland Sheepdogs
3. DoggyRide Novel 10 Anniversary Bike Trailer
This special edition bike trailer is made to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the company which initially known by the name of “Dutch Dog” and started in the Netherlands in 2003.
Being a special 10th-anniversary edition, the DoggyRide Novel 10 Anniversary Bike Trailer is built to impress and support everything that you need to ride with your dog. This trailer is made to hold dogs up to 60lbs.
- Made of the lightweight, anti-rust aluminum alloy frame
- Folded up quickly for easy storage and transport
- An extra cargo roof rack on top that can be used to store up to about 12 pounds of items
- A kickstand that can be folded out to stabilize the trailer as your dog enters and exits
- 2″ memory foam pet bed that is easy to wash
- Can be used as a crate, tent, or stroller with an additional kit (not included)
- The kickstand does not automatically lock-down, you need to hold it manually to keep the trailer stable
- Roof rack mounting sockets are very difficult to attach.
- One-sided flag mount
4. Aosom Elite II 2-in-1 Dog Bike Trailer
The Aosom Elite II Dog Bike Trailer is a convertible dog bike trailer that can be converted from a dog bike trailer to a dog stroller quickly and easily.
It can handle dogs up to 88lbs with a suspension that will make your pooch’s ride a smooth one.
- Made of a lightweight steel frame
- 2-settings front wheel: you can fix it when you want to jog or swivel it for a comfortable stroll
- Adjustable handlebar for different heights so you can push the stroller comfortably
- Pocketed pet seat with safety leash included keeping your canine secure during the ride
- Three separate entrances to get your dog in and out quickly
- Mesh vented front door for ventilation including a protective rain screen to keep your pooch dry when riding in the rain
- The manufacturer should write a better manual that is clear and easy to understand
- The front-wheel stowage metal tube in the back has no cover and could hit your dog’s leg when he enters the trailer
- The bottom interior is wobbly, and the pad is quite thin
5. Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller
This budget-priced Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer is a dual function trailer that can be used as a trailer or stroller.
Designed to support a dog up to 66 lbs, you’ll find this 2-in-1 trailer is quite handy and comes with many great features that are good enough for a short trip around the block.
- Made of a lightweight, sturdy steel frame
- 2-in-1 bug screen to protect your big pooch from mosquitos and other bugs
- Removable cushion
- Built-in handbrake to keep your dog secure
- Plenty of mesh windows for ventilation
- Safety flag and reflectors for extra safety and visibility in a high-traffic area and low-light condition
- Plenty of room for treats, water, towels, snacks with extra side pockets to hold additional items
- Tips easily in steep terrain
- There is no plastic cover on each side of the screens to protect your dog from the weather
- The handle is quite high
- Poor assembly instruction
- The bottom is stretched a bit which made my dog uncomfortable. Just add your own padding at the bottom to make it more comfortable
Other Pet Bike Trailers We Reviewed
6. Solvit HoundAbout II Pet Bicycle Trailer
This durable blue-colored dog bike trailer can hold dogs up to 110lbs.
The very wide wheelbase and the low and close to the ground design makes this Solvit HoundAbout II Pet Bicycle Trailer unique compared with other big dog bike trailers in the market.
In my opinion, the close-to-the-ground design is beneficial for injured or disabled dogs as they can hope into the cart quickly.
- Made of 600d polyester with waterproof floorboard and a lightweight rust-proof aluminum frame that makes this trailer a durable and tough one
- A front door with a waterproof layer and multiple mesh windows and a sunroof to protect your dog from all weather
- Easy to assemble and fold down
- Adjustable safety leash to keep your pooch safe
- Built-in reflectors on the cabin and on each wheel for extra visibility
- The floor is slippery which caused my dog to slide during our first trip
- The canvas is made from low-quality materials as it tore up easily
- The trailer is quite unstable. In spite of the broader wheelbase that supposed to add more stability, the trailer tipped over several times on rough terrain during testing
7. Rage Powersports Blue 2-in-1 Pull-Behind Dog Bike Carrier Bicycle Pet Trailer
This well-rounded dog bike trailer that has a lovely blue and gray color can carry pets up to 130 lbs.
Offered at an affordable price tag, the Rage Powersports PT-20304-B Blue 2-in-1 Dog Bike Trailer comes with all of the features that you’d expect to find in other higher-priced dog bike trailers.
- Dual-function bike trailer; can be used as either a bike trailer or a stroller
- Multiple meshes vented windows for a good view and better airflow
- Large wheels for a smooth ride on different types of terrains: sidewalks, pavements, pebble trails, and short-grass fields
- Universal style hitch that works with most 24″ to 28″ bikes
- It’s hard to steer when used as a stroller
- Hard to connect to the bike
8. Booyah Large Pet Bike Trailer Dog Stroller & Jogger
This greeny Boyah Large Pet Bike Trailer that has a spacious, extra-wide room can hold up a big dog up to 88lbs.
Injured, disabled, or senior dogs will love this trailer because this stroller provides more than enough room space for them to sit or lay down.
- Built-in hand brakes
- Easy to set up
- Easy to maneuver and push on various types of surfaces
- Adjustable handlebars to match the different height
- Fixed or swivel front wheel
- Large 20″ rear wheels mounted toward the rear to keep the trailer stable
- Poorly written instruction manual. Most of the times I need to figure out things myself
- An unstitched plastic cover on the front of the trailer makes the zippers fall off easily
9. Kinbor New Pet Dog Bike Stroller Bicycle Trailer & Jogging Trailer
With 88 lbs weight capacity, the black and red Kinbor New Pet Bicycle Trailer Dog Carrier can be another great alternative to look for.
This trailer is compatible with almost any bike and very easy to connect and disconnect.
- Made from a lightweight steel frame
- Fixed or swivel front wheel for jogging or strolling
- A brake system plus a harness attachment inside for added safety
- Adjustable handlebar
- Bug screen and weather plastic cover to protect your dog from any bugs or the weather
- Plenty of ventilation that allows your dog to experience a breeze as he rides
- Reinforced floor fabric provides more stability and support
- The trailer can be tipped over easily when you ride through an unpaved surface
- It does not convert to a stroller
10. Sepnine 2 in1 Medium pet Dog Bike Trailer
This two-in-one dog bike trailer with 66lbs maximum capacity is the last bike trailer in this list.
The Sepnine 2 in 1 Medium Pet Dog Bike Trailer converts between trailer and jogger easily without tools. It’s designed for small to medium-sized dogs and has a capacity of 66 lbs (30 kg).
- Easy to switch between jogger and trailer
- Polyester fabric
- Dual entry
- Easy storage
- Multiple pockets
- Handlock brake system
- A few users noticed that their bikes’ front wheels pulled to one side
Best Dog Bike Trailer Buying Guide
Before we part for the day, there are several other things that I would like to mention that might be helpful for you.
Before buying any dog bike trailer from the list above, you must always measure your pet first. Pay attention especially to the dimension and the weight capacity of the trailer.
Generally, you want to buy a trailer that is one size of two sizes bigger so your dog can comfortably sit, lie down, and turn around.
Do You Bike Regularly?
If, for example, you’re off and on bike trips regularly, you may need to spend more on a higher-quality bike trailer that is built from high-grade materials for long-term usage.
The Hitch Quality
The quality of the hitch is an important aspect to look for. The hitch determines how easy to connect and disconnect your bike to the trailer and how safe the trailer is when you ride with your dog on the road.
Look for a hitch made of metal material that comes with a safety strap. A safety trap helps to keep your dog safe in case the trailer comes unhooked.
Do You Need Multi-Purpose Trailer?
Your Fido might not need another stroller or crate if he has already had one and very content with it. You can save money by buying a single-use dog bike trailer model.
However, if you like to camp or jog regularly as well, you may want to consider getting a multi-use trailer that can be converted into a stroller to alternate between biking and jogging. Or use it as a place for your pooch to sleep during camping or traveling.
Easy to Clean
After your first ride, you’ll find out how much dirt the trailer could get in just one single trip. To make your cleaning job more manageable and take less time, look for dog trailers that offer a removable floor, and washable interior.
If you want to take the trailer in your car to travel, you may want to look for a collapsible trailer that has removable wheels for easy transport.
Not only for easy transport but the collapsible feature also makes it easy to store the stroller in a small enclosed area which helps in saving up some spaces.
Depending on where you live, the trailer that you want to buy should meet and adhere to specific safety standards defined by an authorized organization such as the American Society for Testing and Material Standards.
Certain features that ASTMS compliant trailer should possess include: hitch safety strap or an attached leash hook, automatic braking system, flags marking, solid floor.
Frame Material and Design
All dog bike trailers in the market are made from plastic, aluminum, or steel frame. Aluminum plastic frame bike trailers are not recommended and should be avoided regardless of the size and weight of your dog since they are too flimsy and therefore unsafe.
There’s no hard and fast rule about which type of frame you should prefer more between the aluminum frame and steel frame.
But generally speaking, for dogs up to 80lbs, aluminum frame dog bike trailers will suffice. As for dogs over 80lbs, you want to consider getting steel frame bike trailers.
2-in-1 or 3-in-1 models that can be converted into a stroller or tent have an adjustable handlebar with an ergonomic design that you can raise or lower to match your height so you can push the stroller comfortably.
Easy to Enter and Exit
A big dog needs a trailer with a big opening so he can get in and out without much hassle. There is nothing more frustrating for your big dog than having a trailer with an opening that is too small for him.
This is another reason why you need to measure your pet size carefully before buying the trailer.
Wheels are an essential part of dog bike trailers that will ensure how smooth your ride is. Large wheels made of a spoked alloy are the best choice since they are more stable on the road and more durable.
Other Important Features to Consider
- Easy to install and set up.
- Weather cover and canopy to protect your pet from rain and sun.
- Mesh vented windows for airflow and good view.
- Bug screen to protect your pooch from any bug bites.
- A good suspension system for a smoother ride even on a bumpy road.
- 30 days warranty or more.