Looking for the best harness for small dogs that pull? Then you have come to the right place. In this article, we’ve reviewed five different choices for small dog owners.
While you can get away with nothing more than a good old-fashioned dog collar and leash, especially with small dogs, no one would argue against the control and security benefits offered by the best harness for small dogs.
A perfectly fitting harness going to secure your dog in a way that a leash and collar never could. You’ll have a lot more control over your animal, they will feel a lot more secure and a lot less anxiety (particularly public and around new dogs), and a proper harness can even help you with puppy training!
Best Harness for Small Dogs that Pull – A Quick List
|1||Puppia Authentic Ritefit Harness w/ Adjustable Neck||A+|
|2||Petsafe Deluxe Easy Walk Harness||A|
|3||The Original Ecobark Control Dog Harness||A|
|4||Embark Active Dog Harness||B+|
|5||Voyager Soft Harness||B|
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
- 1 Best Harness for Small Dogs that Pull – A Quick List
- 2 Quality is king
- 3 Proper fitting is critically important
- 4 Features to invest in
- 5 The Best Harness for Small Dogs that Pull
- 6 1. Puppia Authentic RiteFit Harness with Adjustable Neck
- 7 2. PetSafe Deluxe Easy Walk Harness
- 8 3. The Original Ecobark Control Dog Harness
- 9 4. Embark Active Dog Harness – No Pull Training for Small Dogs
- 10 5. Voyager Soft Harness – Extra Small and Small
At the same time, finding the best harness for small dogs that pull is nowhere near as simple or as straightforward as a lot of people make it out to be.
Plenty of different options exist on the market today (with new options added on a regular basis). And while it’s nice to have plenty of choices to pick from, it’s not hard to get overwhelmed – especially when you aren’t sure of exactly what you should be looking for in a small dog harness, to begin with.
Here are some tips and tricks to help you out!
Quality is king
The most important thing you can do when searching for the best harness for small dogs is committed to purchasing the highest quality harness you can afford.
There’s a world of difference between cheap materials thrown together in a harness shape and quality textiles that offer strength, durability, and comfort (not to mention breathability for those hot days) and the kind of longevity you’ll never get out of a cheap option.
This doesn’t mean you have to spend hundreds of dollars on a harness, but it does mean that you should look to invest in a quality harness rather than a cheap option when you have the opportunity to do so.
Proper fitting is critically important
Aside from investing in a high-quality harness, the next thing you need to do is make sure you are purchasing a harness perfectly fit for your dog.
A lot of this is going to boil down to the type of breed of dog you have, the size of the dog now as well as how big they may grow moving forward, and a whole host of other individual factors that you have to take into account.
At the end of the day, however, you want a harness that is going to secure the fit around your dog’s front arms and chest without ever choking them. It should give you plenty of security without feeling sloppy, and you should never have to worry about your dog slipping the harness and escaping when you least expect it.
It’s important to understand that not all brands offer the same size harness, even when they are describing them the same way. A small harness from one brand may not be quite as small as a small harness from another brand, and that’s why you want to make sure that you take the time to custom fit your dog as much as possible.
Features to invest in
Whenever possible, it’s a good idea to invest in the best harness for small dogs that include some of (or all) the features that we highlight below:
• Soft materials and padding on all contact points – Look for harnesses that feature softer materials and extra padding on any and all of the contact points and “rough edges” of your new harness. Keeping your dog comfortable in the harness will go a long way towards keeping control of the dog, and helping them to get over any fear or anxiety they might have of this setup.
• Forward and topside anchor points – You’re going to want to be able to quickly connect your leash to the harness you have, and the best place for this anchor point to be located is right between the front shoulder blades of your dog. Harnesses that feature this anchor point position give you the utmost control without ever exerting unnecessary or painful pressure on your animal.
• Waterproofing and insulation properties – It may not be a bad idea to invest in a number of different harnesses, one for every season of the year. Summertime harnesses can be made of very breathable and cooling materials, whereas wintertime harnesses feature waterproofing and insulation properties to keep your dogs dry and toasty during those cold walks.
At the end of the day, you will have a number of different options to pick and choose from when it comes time to find the best harness for small dogs.
Armed with the inside information about, you’ll have no trouble finding the perfect harness for your furry little family member. You’ll be able to keep them safe, keep them comfortable, and keep them under your complete control while out and about or playing with their furry little friends!
The Best Harness for Small Dogs that Pull
1. Puppia Authentic RiteFit Harness with Adjustable Neck
Small breed dogs are easier to control than large breeds, therefore they don’t need the same strong harness used for large breeds. You don’t need a strong harness that makes your dog chocking themselves and making themselves cough terribly but you do want the harness that is strong enough to pull and control them back and yet soft enough for them.
Pupia Dog Harness is made of Polyester with nylon straps designed to provide the best possible fit and comfort. The harness comes in 7 different sizes and 14 different colors.
- It’s great for snug fit since the harness is adjustable at both the neck and the chest. Just make sure you measure the size correctly. Use the size chart from the manufacturer as a reference.
- Made of soft material that won’t rub or irritate the skin.
- It’s great for small dogs that pull. The harness won’t eliminate the pull completely, but it is a lot easier to pull and control your dog back without making your dog chocked.
- The harness is very easy to put on and off.
- Made from soft, comfortable, and machine-washable materials.
- This harness doesn’t fit well for big-headed small dogs such as Pug.
2. PetSafe Deluxe Easy Walk Harness
PetSafe Easy Deluxe Easy Walk Harness is one of the best no-pull dog harnesses that we’ve ever tested. It has plenty of adjustments to make sure it fits your small dog’s unique shape. The front leash attachment which is located in the center of the chest trap allows you to gently steers your dog to the side to reduce or even stop the leash pulling.
The strap itself is located along your dog’s chest and belly which prevents gagging or choking when they try to pull. This is something that we really appreciate as there are so many small dog harnesses in the market designed so poorly which lead our little-beloved friends to chocking and coughing.
The harness is available in four different colors and four different sizes.
- The four adjustment points allow the harness to fit your dog in all the right place.
- So many dog owners and trainers reported the harness worked well to put an end to their dog’s leash pulling behavior.
- The quick snap buckle makes it easy to put on and take off.
- The deluxe version includes neoprene padded straps to prevent the harness from rubbing under the belly and armpit area.
- Highly visible and reflective strips to help you spot your dog easily when walking on a dark night.
3. The Original Ecobark Control Dog Harness
The Original Ecobark Control Dog Harness came to our attention when we learned that the strap is made from a recycled plastic water bottle. It’s great innovation, not only you can get a colorfully designed harness but you can also contribute to the planet at the same time.
It’s one of the best harnesses to use for outdoor activities. The harness is designed with a Flexible Air Mesh that maintains the dog’s natural movement. No matter what kind of outdoor activities that you do — run, walk, or hike — you can be sure your dog can freely move with no strain or pain.
- The innovative no-pull and no-choke design stops your dog from pulling.
- The strap is crafted from a recycled water bottle so you can help contribute to reducing carbon footprint.
- Made from ROSH tested, non-toxic, light-weight ultra-padded polyester mesh material for good fit and comfort.
- Great for all outdoor activities.
- Non-breakaway quick release clasp for extra protection.
- The fully adjustable straps are reinforced with double stitching for added protection.
- Available 6 color patterns.
- There is no way to adjust the neck girth, which makes it hard to get the right fit for some dogs.
4. Embark Active Dog Harness – No Pull Training for Small Dogs
Embark Active Dog Harness is a great-looking, no-pull training harness designed specifically for small and extra small dogs. This harness is great to train your dog to stop their pulling behaviors through the front attachment point. The front attachment point is used in a training set to teach your dog to walk behind you and to hell.
While the back attachment point is used designed to spread the force of pulling across your dog’s neck so you can use it for an everyday walk or run without worrying your dog will choke themselves.
- Featuring front and back attachment points. The front attachment point is used to train your dog to stop pulling while the back attachment point is used for everyday use.
- Adjustable at both the neck and the chest for a snug fit.
- The harness is quadruple sewn with military grade nylon thread for ultimate safety.
- It’s easily adjustable and fit well.
- Extremely easy to put on and take off.
- Highly reflective makes it easy to spot your dog late at night.
- Some dog owners seemed to had an issue with the D-ring on the front attachment point. When we looked at the instruction manual we realized the issue was not in the D-ring. The problem was many people didn’t read the instruction manual correctly so they attached the leash to that D-ring, when the main purpose of that D-ring is for attaching pet ID tags.
5. Voyager Soft Harness – Extra Small and Small
Voyager Soft Harness is a stylish dog harness made specifically for extra-small and small dogs. Made from soft fabric materials and a no-choke design, this harness is sure to keep your dog secure while keeping your dog comfortable while walking.
- Designed to distribute the pressure across your pet’s chest. No need to worry about choking or gagging.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- Made with high-quality double D-rings, velcro, and clip designed to keep your dog safe.
- Plenty of room for adjustments to make sure it fits comfortably and properly accommodating your dog’s unique body shape.
- The harness may be too small for large dog breeds, therefore we only recommend this harness for small dogs.
- It’s harder to find the right measurement size for small dogs than large dogs so make sure you double check the manufacturer’s sizing chart before making a choice.
Image credits: Amazon.com